DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Sold the Hemi -05/17/2011
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been going to the local gas station for at least the past 4 months since I've moved here and just today they have a sign posted "Our gas contains 10% ethanol" Whaaat!? They better have just switched and I haven't been putting that crap in my truck this whole time. I know it's "ok" to run it but why would I want to? I'm have a feeling those *******s have had it that way this whole time and got in trouble or something and now have posted it. Needless to say I drove a mile or so out the way and put 100% gas even though it was 10 cents a gallon more. BLAH! I wonder if I can sue for loss of HP and gas mileage this whole time? lol, you never know, we are in America! :gr_patrio

What do you guys think of this?

·
Registered
359 Posts
been running that stuff for atleast 3-4 years now, no problems here, find i get better mpg, dad says he likes it better when he is pulling the camper

·
Sold the Hemi -05/17/2011
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From Fuel-Testers.com

1. Test gas for alcohol presence and to assure it is below the legal limit of 10%.
Gas alcohol levels above 10 percent can cause major damage to most engines.
Many pumps do not label when alcohol is added. Inexpensive portable Alcohol Fuel Test Kits are now available for public use. Visit www.fueltestkit.com/order_ethanol_alcohol_fuel_test_kit.html

2. Replace the gas in your fuel tank at least every 2-3 weeks.
The shelf life of E-10 gas is only 3 months (90-100 days) under ideal environmental conditions

3. Know the specific fuel laws for your state.
Many states still do not require the labeling of E10 gas at the pumps. View state ethanol labeling laws here: http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_guide_ethanol_laws.html

4. Check your owner's manual for fuel type recommended.
Older engines (prior to 1998) and several luxury vehicles do not permit the use of alcohol fuels. Many lower-priced and high mileage automobiles experience performance problems and part damage from the use of E10 gas.

5. Prevent external water and moisture (high humidity) from coming in contact with E-10 gas.

6. Ethanol-blend fuels will lower MPG in most engines; Fuel efficiency can decrease by 2-40%.
Maintain your engine to provide the best possible fuel efficiency. (Inflate tires, keep tuned, etc.).
View more information on fuel efficiency and mpg of E-10 gas.

7. Chose an octane level above 91, for an added level of security when purchasing E-10 gas,
If water contaminates (WC) your gas, the fuel will dilute and the octane level can drop up to 3 points.

·
Registered
630 Posts
been running that stuff for atleast 3-4 years now, no problems here, find i get better mpg, dad says he likes it better when he is pulling the camper
Better mileage with 10% less energy, that doesnt happen my friend. Have you run 100% gas on the same trips for a MPG comparison?

We have 10% e fuel here mandated by the State...MPG and power are down for everyone. The stuff is hard on small motors and especially boats.

I hate it!

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
you dont lose hp from using ethanol. it has a high enough octain rating to delay timing that equals more compression which equals more power. It does however give you worse fuel milage, but that is usually made up by a cheeper price.

Look at fords new 5.4. When it runs e85 if has more hp and torque, that shows using ethanol has no loss of power.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Have you run 100% gas on the same trips for a MPG comparison?
ya we have, and on the Ethanol blended fuel we gained 1-2mpg

·
Registered
630 Posts
ya we have, and on the Ethanol blended fuel we gained 1-2mpg
You my friend are a first. I have had many multi-page conversations on different boards, and researched a ton and not one person, other than you, has got a MPG increase. In fact, here in Oregon they are looking at repealing the law. One of the Oregon Senators that sponsored it last year is now against it after her Camry lost 6+ MPG's... http://news.opb.org/article/2666-oregons-ethanol-mandate-under-fire/

That along with WC and PS make this NASTy stuff!

·
Registered
630 Posts
you dont lose hp from using ethanol. it has a high enough octain rating to delay timing that equals more compression which equals more power. It does however give you worse fuel milage, but that is usually made up by a cheeper price.

Look at fords new 5.4. When it runs e85 if has more hp and torque, that shows using ethanol has no loss of power.
But the new 5.4 is specifically made for e10. A higher octane doesnt in itself boost HP. Ethanol fuel doesnt have the same efficency value as 100% gas.

·
Premium Member
30,924 Posts
The 10% stuff is used around here to cut smog during the winter months. My mileage always drops about 1.8-to-2.5 when that junk is in my tank. The only reason my power does fall-off is the colder weather makes for denser air.

:VHOT:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I see a few of the newer Chryslers are being built for the E-85 fuel also.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
my opinion....who cares. you ahve to deal with it so just deal with it we have it here too from oct to march. it sucks but thats just how it goes.

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
i don't see it goin away anytime soon

gas retailers get a 4.5 cent a gallon tax break for sellin it

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
E10 year round in my state. Nothing I can do about it. No other options for me. It replaced MTBE. We also have winter and summer gas blends as well so MPG takes a real crap on me in the winter.

I have to agree with PSD1 questioning claims of increased MPG with fuels containing ethanol. Just goes against the laws of physics. Ethanol fuels do provide a little more power BUT they provide significantly lower fuel efficiency. There has to be some other factor that is allowing that poster claiming the increase in MPG to actually have seen it. What that is I don't know but better MPG from E10 vs 100% gas just does not seem physically possible????( no offense meant ). You want to see a real MPG drop try running E85 is a FF vehicle and then compare it to a tank of 100% gas. BIG drop off.

I was driving a 2005 Silverado with the 5.3L when E10 began it's government mandated appearance in our gas back in 2006( Energy Act of 2005 ). I lost an honest, hand calculated, 1.5 MPG( highway ) - 2 MPG( city )of fuel economy with it.

I have had no mechanical problems with it however. 2006/2007+ vehicles are designed to run on E10 so they have the proper fuel system components for it. Earlier models however may suffer some long term use consequences. Ethanol is pretty corrosive to the fuel system.

I have seen talk where they want to increase it to E15 or even E20 as well. Haven't heard that for a while though so maybe they are realizing Ethanol is NOT the answer. Takes more energy to produce it than you get back( ie; gallon for gallon )AND it provides reduced fuel economy vs regular gas. Only politicians would think that was the answer to the energy crisis.

·
You've been Hijacked
14,749 Posts
if you have a choice you are lucky. every where up here has it.

·
BLACK
1,343 Posts
I can't get anything but the 10% down this way during the winter. It makes it easy to accept when you are given no other choice.

·
Diesel User
1,343 Posts
Ethanol blended fuels is nothing but crap. My Harley hates it and so does my Magnum. I struggle to get 21mpg on the highway with the crap and yet when I drive through a state that doesn't use blended fuels I can easily get 24-25mpg highway.

MikeyB

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.