DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys this just a question that has lurked in my head for a while now, and for some odd reason now I gonna ask about it. Now, I know there are the AWD tcases that have the settings AWD,4hi, and 4Lo, and I know of the part time cases. Here's the question is there a tcase that has 2wd, Awd, 4hi, and 4Lo on them? Because I'd still like to have the awd for them harsh road conditions but would like to have to drive in 2wd without messing the case up, such as how a few have gone up in some of the situations such as mine.
This is just a discussion thing for everyone to hop in on and say their piece.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
99-00 there was a Full Time option that has 2wd-Part Time 4 h- Full time (same as AWD)-4 LO. AWD replaced it in 01. The problem is 99-00 operated with a manual floor lever. 01-03 is via the electronic switch on the dash. There is nothing wron with the AWD. There is virtually no hit in mileage and even if there was I'd pay a little more in gas for the added security of AWD.

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
I would love to have 2wd available to me. Don't get me wrong AWD is awesome 98% of the time, but there have been a few cases where 2wd would give me peace of mind. Me and the kids like to go do donuts when the 1st good snow hits and I am always fearful of tearing up my t-case. I have a friend of mine with some land and we play in the muddy fields from time to time and would do more donuts if I had 2wd. I realise at my age I shouldn't be doing that blah blah blah plus the wear and tear on my D, but hey we only go around once in life so you may as well go around as many times as you can in your D :)

As Neil said The biggest issue I would think is the shifting mechanism. It might be doable if you find someone who can adapt electronic shifting to the older case. The switch wouldn't be too big of an issue. Other than where the front driveshaft attaches to the case I believe they are the same mounting points.

Thus far you would need: 1) 2WD case
2a) Someone to modify your case
2b) New console and cut a hole in your floor
3) New front driveshaft
4) New switch if 2a is pursued
5) Possibly changes to the case sensors

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.