Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
New poster here, and also a new owner of a sweet old Dodge pickup!. I recently bought a 1978 Custom from the second owner (I know, wrong year model forum, but bear with me). The original 318 has been replaced with a 440 which appears from the casting number on the front of the block to be an original truck casting from 1969 (4 T 440 E). My understanding is that the E is the 1969 year code, and the T between the 4 and the 440 designates that it was a truck casting. The problem is that I can't find any output figures or specifications for this engine. And the little that I've read suggests that 1969 model pickups did not come equipped with 440s from the factory. Does anyone know what this engine could have come out of (maybe a mobile home engine???), and what a standard performance 440 from that year range would have put out in terms of HP and torque? If you have any information about things like compression ratio, that would also be helpful for me to know what kind of gas/octane booster I should be running.
Thanks all!
shrewboy

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
No pickup trucks of that era came with 440's. Not until the 70's. Most motorhomes either had 361 or 413 V8's in that era as well.

If you do have a '69 casting 440, then you do have a damn good block.

Welcome to DT.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Dodgevanman said:
No pickup trucks of that era came with 440's. Not until the 70's. Most motorhomes either had 361 or 413 V8's in that era as well.

If you do have a '69 casting 440, then you do have a damn good block.

Welcome to DT.
Especially if it has 1350 HP!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is what I found...

440 RB V8 in a 1971 Plymouth 'CudaThe massive 440 RB was produced from 1966 until 1978, making it the last of the Chrysler big-blocks. It had a cast-iron block with aluminium heads.

From 1966 to 1971, it was conservatively rated at 375 SAE gross bhp (280 kW)at 4400 rpm with a single four barrel carburetor, and from 1969 to 1971, 390 hp (291 kW) with three two barrel carburetors. Both motors could produce up to 425 to 435 hp (317 to 324 kW) in certain sports models.

From 1973 onwards the motor was equipped according to the new Clean-Air Act, which muffled the output to a rated 335 bhp SAE gross at 4400 rpm. Later still the output was rated in SAE net, that is, with alternator, air cleaner, mufflers, and other real-world, power-consuming equipment attached, to a more realisticly rated 225 bhp SAE net at 4400 rpm, which very closely coincided with period German DIN ratings and TUV measurements.

The 440 was known as the Magnum in Dodges, the Super Commando in Plymouths, and the briefly as the TNT in Chryslers.

The 440 was used in the following vehicles:

Chrysler 300 letter series
Chrysler 300 non-letter series
Chrysler New Yorker
Chrysler Newport
Chrysler Town and Country
Dodge B series Vans
Dodge Coronet
Dodge Charger
1970-1971 Dodge Challenger
Dodge Daytona
Dodge Monaco
Dodge Polara
1969-1971 Dodge Super Bee
Imperial
Plymouth Barracuda
Plymouth Belvedere
Plymouth Fury
Plymouth GTX
Plymouth Road Runner
Plymouth Superbird
Plymouth VIP.0
Dodge Travco Motor Homes
Jensen Interceptor
Monteverdi 375
Monteverdi Hai

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Aluminum Heads? When and where? The H.P. ratings were pretty accurate considering the dual plane, exhaust system and conservative camshaft which was hydraulic, it did make close to 500 Lb. ft. Torque which is more important for heavy vehicles. The cylinder heads were for all intents and purposes the same with major differences being the closed vs. open chamber and hardened valve seats on the exhaust added in the mid 70's. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
moe in wichita ks aluminium heads? from the factory? it has been a LONG time senice i messed with them but i know that the hipo 440 was a diferent color than a std horsepower but i cant remember what the colors were. also the 3x2 440 had an externel balance and you could see it on the vibration balacer as it was off set, but then the cast cranks had an off set balacer as well but was diferent in the off set

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.