DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, long time lurker, first time poster...I used search before posting this but couldn't find the answers I was after.

I'm looking to buy an '06 Ram here in a few months and had a few questions for folks who have bought new trucks in the past. This will be my first "new" truck/car purchase. Like many of you, I'm vary particular about what I want in my truck and have built and priced it out online. The problem is, I'm looking to get a black Laramie w/ most of the options included and, at least so far, none of the dealers in Texas that I've found are stocking these trucks. They're loaded w/ SLT's thou. So I may want to go the route of ordering, which is where my questions come in. :help:

On order vs. buying off the lot - how much leverage do you lose with the dealership? New vehicles are a commodity, so my hope was to have several dealers bid on my business and go with the best, but if an order is required will they come back with the same thing? How much of a premium do you add if you have to order? Has anyone here ordered, and how was that experience? Also, if you buy from a dealer in one city and live in another, are all dealerships required to honor Dodge warantee work or do you need to take it back to the dealer where you bought it (suspect the answer is yes but would like to be sure).

A few other questions also: in your experiences, how accurate are the trade-in values from Kelly's bluebook when you trade-in? In your experiences, how willing are dealers to "bid" on your purchase by the method described by the Motley Fool (fool. com/car/car12.htm)? Has anyone used this method w/ success (or failure)?

that's it for now, thanks in advance for your help. :rck:

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Webhorn. I ordered a Nissan 350Z in January, and yes, shop around. I went to Nissan.com and did a search of all the dealers within 200 miles. I called them all, and got their email addresses. I wasn't willing to do any work over the phone (because they may try to talk you into something you don't want). I copied and pasted the email for you:
Gentlemen,
I know what I want and am simply shopping price. Please quote, on an expedited basis the total drive off the lot price for: a new 2005 Nissan 350Z Roadster with (6 speed manual transmission) Touring Class, black convertible top, le mans sunset color with charcoal leather interior with the following opitions: aluminum kick plate, floor mats, splash guards, trunk mat, 18" 6 spoke alloy wheels, side air bags, heated seats, front tires Bridgestone 225/45R 18 91W, rear tires Bridgestone 245/45R 18 96W.

Needless to say, I did receive a few emails saying "well, I don't have that exactly, but I have this...." I just said no thanks and moved on. I eventually found a few dealers that would order me one. The price difference was big. The final drive off the lot price I got was $39,224.57. I had other offers of up to $44,000+ drive of the lot prices. So, definetly check with different places. Good luck.
(No, the Nissan wasn't for me)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I normally don't have a vehicle serviced where I bought it, and have never had a problem. I buy where I can get the best deal and get service done closest to home.

I've never ordered a vehicle, but would think dealers would be more flexable on sale price for vehicles they have on their lot. If you're willing to wait a few months what you want is more likeley to be on the dealers lot.

As far as trade-in value. I had 2 salespersons tell me they use Kelly Blue Book "Fair" value as an initial estimate of what a wholesaler will give them for the vehicle. The traide-in value shown in KBB is based upon paying full sticker price for the vehicle you buy. Unless you have something they really want, they will wholesale your trade-in, and may even have wholesale buyers on the lot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Many dealers will do an inventory search and find the truck you want in stock somewhere. Unless you want an unusual combination, the truck will probably be in inventory somewhere. And the deals are usually better on inventory than orders.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I bought mine from a friend who is also a Sales Manager. He told me that he could save me more money by taking one from the lot. Ordering and trading with other dealers you loose leverage. Just like anybody selling anything, they want you to sign the paper and leave with the product so they don't have to see you again. As far as warranty, any dealer will honor the warranty.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
Dealers often receive extra money from the manufacturer to help move what is on their lot. When you order your vehicle directly, that is not there. There is indeed more bargaining room when you buy off the lot, especially at the end of the model year (like right now).

However for some, getting the vehicle exactly the way they wanted it is worth losing a few hundred bucks.

·
RamFever
601 Posts
WebHorn welcome to DT, if you are looking for an 06 you will not have much luck getting the dealer to knock too much off of the price since they are trying to unload the remaining 05's but will work with you on the 06's that are on the lot. As far as trade in, don't expect to get Blue book. I was quoted $3500 on my 96 Laramie that only had 50,000 miles on it and I had bought it at the same stealership which was way under Bluebook.

If you do try and work a deal on a truck that is already on the lot, see how low you can get them down on the price with your trade in. When you get that price then subtract the price that they will give you for your trade in and sell your trade in out right.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
It all depends on the dealer. I ordered my 05 from Dave Smith Motors in Idaho. I got the same invoice minus $500 minus current rebates that I would have got with a truck off their lot.

All Dodge dealerships are required to provide warranty service regardless of where you bought the vehicle. If they refuse, have the Chrylser 800 number handy.

You should consider selling your current vehicle as opposed to trading it in. Trade-in "value" is often where dealers make up for discounting a new vehicle. Go to the dealer without a trade-in and with cash in hand.

·
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
1,688 Posts
I factory ordered mine in April 2004 and got it June 16, 2004. Sticker optioned out at $47,300.00 cdn and paid $41,700.00. I took a no nonsense stance with all the dealer's I visited and everyone else wanted $44,000.00. I bought mine from Maple Ridge Chrysler in Maple Ridge B.C Canada. The Dealership is owned by the late Greg Moore's (INDY driver) father. They even gave me a Laramie Ram 1500 for 2 days to test drive to make sure I liked the truck......all the other dealers sales people had to tag along for the short test drive. Price and trust are what sold me on this Dealership.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
I have ordered 22 new vehicles. I have never bought off the lot. The dealer actually saves about $800 if you order instead of buying off the lot. He is carrying the paper on everything on the lot and that cost him money. Also, you can get your vehicle serviced at all dealerships but the dealer I deal with won't give you a loaner unless you bought off of them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Used an approach similar to RammingDodge when I just recently ordered an 05 1500 QC. Tried one dealer by going in and negotiating with them. Got sick of them playing games to try and get me to buy from inventory vs. ordering. Decided to lay out on paper all the details for exactly what I wanted and what I wanted to pay out the door. Then contacted 3 different nearby dealers and faxed them the proposal. The one that met my price was the one I ordered from. If you go to Edmunds they've got a great tool for building the vehicle with options, and showing you invoice and local market pricing.

·
Registered
562 Posts
aspendaddy said:
Used an approach similar to RammingDodge when I just recently ordered an 05 1500 QC. Tried one dealer by going in and negotiating with them. Got sick of them playing games to try and get me to buy from inventory vs. ordering. Decided to lay out on paper all the details for exactly what I wanted and what I wanted to pay out the door. Then contacted 3 different nearby dealers and faxed them the proposal. The one that met my price was the one I ordered from. If you go to Edmunds they've got a great tool for building the vehicle with options, and showing you invoice and local market pricing.
Ditto. And stick to your guns. Make sure they understand that you are not a tire kicker, that you are buying - and don't even mention you are trading - work that in after you get their best price, and then you'll know exactly what your being given for your trade. They are entitled to fair profit, but you make the payments. I've ordered my last two vehicles, and got great deals, but it took some grinding, legwork, travel, stress. How low hassle a sale is a truck that they unload from a rig, PDI, and bounce out the door, with you getting exactly the options you want, and nothing you don't want.

Also, bear in mind that the 06 is, ah, less aesthetically pleasing than the current gen Ram. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just bought a new 2500 last friday.It was a truck off the lot and I got a god deal.I got 4250 in incentives and 6000 off the truck because it had been on the lot for 90 days.And I also got kbb good trade-in value for my truck.So I don't feel so bad about it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cash in hand isn't always the best deal for you.If your trade is of value you'll prob save $(on taxes) by tradeing it. Ex--you want 18k for your vehicle, new vehicle is 34k.Taxes on the new at 8% are $2720.Dealer wants to give you 17K for your truck you think you're out 1K, but 34,000-17,000=$17,000.Taxes on the purchase are $1360.They offered you 1k less than you wanted but you come out $360 ahead, and avoid the hassle of selling it yourself.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
metalslayer said:
Ex--you want 18k for your vehicle ... Dealer wants to give you 17K for your truck ...
But how realistic is this? If the dealer is only $1k off from what you want ... by all means trade it in! Just don't tell them about the trade until after you negotiate for the new ride from their cost ... ignore the stickered dealer price or MSRP. Usually the dealer offer on a trade is insultingly low (in my experience and what I read around here).

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was just saying if it's close enough-----do the math.Go at the end of the month and if they need a few deals to make the MPA #, you are in the drivers seat.I used to be in the buss., and if we were a few deals short they would do things to make the last few deals.I once called a guy that had been in and offered a great deal on what he wanted and told him it had to be closed by 5pm the next day.He said he would think about, then called 3 days latter----new month---no deal.This only pertains to off the lot cause you never know when the ordered vehicle is going to arrive and it goes on that months MPA #'s.

·
AndIHopeYouLikeRamminToo!
1,438 Posts
I would hold out as long as you can and get an 05 leftover unless you like the look of the 06 if you can still find an 05 3 months after the 06's come out, I'm sure you'll get a nice deal.

·
Registered
318 Posts
One thing I like to do when haggling is get my local dealer down to his best price, either by having him match a price I have already found over the Internet or by saying that Joe's Truckworld down the street has XX at such and so price. Then, when they think they have me at my number, I plop down my sheaf of paperwork showing all the maintenance, service, and parts buying I do at their dealership. I remind them that they make all their money off of service, not sales, and as a loyal service customer, I expect them to take an additional $(amount I think I can get away with) off that 'final' price. I've pulled this stunt twice now, and both times it worked like a charm. I've never had to pull the bluff of 'well, if you don't meet my new price, I'll never get service here again'. It also helps to have another dealership or two within easy driving distance, because it makes your argument of getting service elsewhere more credible.

Just a thought for a future negotiatin' tactic.

Glen

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
FreakshowWilly said:
I would hold out as long as you can and get an 05 leftover unless you like the look of the 06 if you can still find an 05 3 months after the 06's come out, I'm sure you'll get a nice deal.
Actually believe it or not, the time to buy an '05 would be right before the '06's go on sale (August or September). All customer rebates for the '05's will end on the last day of September, and be replaced by an equal amount of factory-to-dealer cash on the remaining '05's. Rebates are better for the customer, because they are clearly stated, and can be used as part of your down payment. The dealer can use the hidden incentives for whatever he likes, and has no obligation to disclose them to the customer. Some dealers will have no problem holding onto a few '05's and making more on them in the fall, when the '06 is out.... especially since there is a redesigned truck coming out and there will always be some people who just don't like any new design.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
FreeLantz said:
Some dealers will have no problem holding onto a few '05's and making more on them in the fall, when the '06 is out.... especially since there is a redesigned truck coming out and there will always be some people who just don't like any new design.
Good point - Last fall I was actually shopping for a QC 4x4 Dakota (to replace my wrecked 01) and they were not quick to budge on the price of the 04 Dakotas. According to the salespeople they were in high demand because a lot of buyers didn't like the new style of the 05s and wanted to get the last of the old body style. Because of this they were pushing the Rams harder and I was able to get my Ram for less than what they wanted for a Dakota.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.