DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have this and how good is it my buddy works at advanceauto and he said they get alot of returns on these batteries is it worth the extra money thx

·
AROD'S TRUCK
4,410 Posts
anyone have this and how good is it my buddy works at advanceauto and he said they get alot of returns on these batteries is it worth the extra money thx

The yellow top are deep cycle batteries, Its good for car/trucks with winches lots of lights ect. I usually dont use them. I just use the Optima Red tops. But something I heard about Optima is they stopped making the batteries here in the US now they are made overseas and the quality is not as good as the older US ones. Havent heard alot of guys using the yellow tops though.

·
AROD'S TRUCK
4,410 Posts
Same here I got my off road lights, OBA and big system. Since I'm a diesel I have 2 Red top optima. Only had one issue with them and I've had them for about 1 1/2 years. I had the red top on my past 2 jeeps and Never had an issue. That same battery 6 years old is still starting up my buddies hot rod. Then again the older on was US built. I think it all depends on the person some say they suck and some say they are great. I say they are pretty good.

·
Biggin
910 Posts
Yellow tops and any deep cycle battery must be cycled fully to survive. Most don't use them correctly and they run into issues.

·
Registered
95 Posts
charging and discharging. You have to break in the battery basically. 30 charge/discharge cycles or more before it reaches full capacity, limited use during that time, not letting it fully drain, not overheating it from improper charging etc. There's also proper charging methods. Automotive alternators not being the preferred charging method in most cases.

·
Biggin
910 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If you're going to spend the $$ on a yellow top spend a few more and get the diehard platinum. Best battery out there, made by odessey.

·
Ramistered User
6,420 Posts
Costco sells Interstate for $78 for our trucks, can't get much better than that unless you insist paying much more for nothing.

·
Ram Pwnage
602 Posts
I got about 4yrs out of my 1st optima, took it out of my 2nd gen and put it in my 3rd gen when i bought it. Started going bad a few months ago looking back at the signs, yet it never failed to start the truck even when i left the radio running for hours...and that was a bad battery.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I have to agree with the post above. Get the Diehard platinum, it is a really good battery.

Aside from that I had one of the still made in USA Optima Yellows in my truck for 5 years. The battery would sometimes run down if I didn't drive the truck for 3 weeks or more but always charged up and worked like a champ. It was still going good but was replaced with a less than 6 month old made in Mexico version from a car being sold. As far as I know the person that bought the car still has the battery now 6 years old and running fine.
I killed two of the older Redtops from sitting for months at a time. Wouldn't hold a charge anymore.

·
living life
6,909 Posts
I have a yellow top in my truck... runs a winch and 12 aftermarket lights on it with 0 promlems. Has no problems charging. Run my winch...my volt meter goes down(maybe 1/4 inch)...but as soon as I let go of the winch button, it bounces right back up to were its supposed to be

·
Registered
191 Posts
One more Vote for Sears DieHard Platinum re-branded Odessy Batt. Best battery for the money group 65 size 930cca and 135 min. power reserve. Optimas quality has gone downhill from what i've read and heard but most everybody has had good luck with them.

·
AROD'S TRUCK
4,410 Posts
Lets not forget this isnt another whats a good battery thread lol, OP have you bought one yet? Honestly with all the red tops I have had, I have never had any issues. But like others have said if you get a yellow top you will have to cycle it properly or you will be one of those people returning it with an issue.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I went through 4 red tops in as many years. They replaced up to a cretain point. Went with the Die Hard platinum. Great battery. I hve nothing special on my truck that would kill a battery so many times. Optima=Junk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.