DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats goin on guys. I hope i dont get laughed at for this one. As most of you are, i too am in love with my truck. it's a 2003 quad cab silver ram 1500 with the 3.7L v6.

My buddy has a 2006 6.0L GTO, and ive been driving it alot lately and sometime last week i got the fever, for speed. I took a 180 degree angle curve at a complete drift and it was very beast. since then i've decided..

I would very much so like to do a hemi swap, and put a 2/4 drop kit on the truck so i can take the hard curves. Not to be conceited but i can drive, good.

The only problem is.. will i have major problems during the engine swap? what else will i need besides new motor mounts. Once i get the motor and transmission, i will have to get a shop to do this for me, because i do not know how to successfully install the motor with the correct wiring and what not.

i just really do not see the point in trying to mod a 3.7L, also i believe i have 3.55 gears in the rear, would i need to get the 4.56's for this upgrade?

I'm just looking for some general opinions on the whole subject. i hope i dont come off as ignorant, im not trying to embarrass myself!! lol. I do appreciate the help guys

·
Registered
23,004 Posts
Unless you are skilled or somewhat skilled mechanically, it likely will not be worth it. You'll need every bit of wiring harness cables etc fromt eh donor truck as you can find. The PCM/TCm depending on year, all cables etc. Then you gotta wire it all up properly. The rear end will cost a bit too at least 1K for gears, LSD and install. If you cant do the engine install and wiring process yourself be prepared to pay a lot for hourly rates, aside from the cost of the motor and transmission etc. Your likely better off getting a decent used 5.7L truck.

Dont get me wrong though, it can be done! It seems it would be a tad easier if you already had a 4.7L as they use the same tranny. There are a few guys here who have transplanted a Hemi into their Dakotas. Read up on their threads and what it took for them to get it to work. One guy is int he process as we speak. maybe he can lend you some advice/info on what all parts you may need to look for?

KB

·
Registered
67 Posts
Agree with KB 112....just sell yours and get a Ram with a 5.7L. I thought about the same swap with my 360, but it's just not worth the money in my opinion.

·
Registered
33 Posts
why would you want to swap a 360 for a hemi?? i can see maybe a 6.1 but not the 5.7 for the money yould spend on getting the hemi in the truck youcould buy a magnum crate engine with tons more power then the 5.7

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was contemplating same sorta thing with 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad cab I had, it had a V6 and realized later would have been happier with 4.7L V8, engine swap, computer and everything else was gonna be hugely expensive, ended up just trading it in on an 04 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with 5.7L hemi. And if I were to do it over again, woulda done much more research before I bought the dakota, and I don't have any second thoughts about my Ram, absolutely none, love it, and will for 15-20 years, all vehicles are are just hunks of metal, rubber and plastic in different shapes, so I'm sticking with it and maintaining it way cheaper than trading in every 4 years or so. Hope this helps ya out, trade it in or sell it and buy what you dig.... take care and good luck to ya.

·
Registered
67 Posts
why would you want to swap a 360 for a hemi?? i can see maybe a 6.1 but not the 5.7 for the money yould spend on getting the hemi in the truck youcould buy a magnum crate engine with tons more power then the 5.7

I was just researching it..

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for all the help. I appreciate it!

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
ya and with yours being an 03, everything is slightly different than the other hemi trucks

·
Banned
3,572 Posts
Agree with KB 112....just sell yours and get a Ram with a 5.7L. I thought about the same swap with my 360, but it's just not worth the money in my opinion.
you dont need to swap there is so much out there for the 5.9l and you could do a stroker 408 for less then a hemi or stocking a hemi

i was thinking of swaping in a 5.9l int my 02 4.7l awile back

·
Banned
3,572 Posts
yeah like said before read up in the dak forums they are doing it but it wont be cost efficient if your not doing it yourself.

if you dont have to much heart in your truck right now, with the way economy is you could prob trade up for a used low milage hemi with not to much mney

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
you dont need to swap there is so much out there for the 5.9l and you could do a stroker 408 for less then a hemi or stocking a hemi

i was thinking of swaping in a 5.9l int my 02 4.7l awile back
this is true, you should look into doing a 408 stroker! Much cheaper.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
hemi swap =
Engine
EVERY Wire for the pcm harness and tcm
TRANS also... 3.7l trans is totally different than 4.7 and 5.7

it will cost alot of money to get it done... im looking forward on doing this to the dodge.... but no time soon... because im gonna do it right and once only...

ive cut and degraded the tradein/sale priceso much i cant get rid of this truck

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
you forgot a different driveshaft too, because if I remeber right there not the same either.

·
Project Kenpachi '07-
530 Posts
408...hehehe :secret2:

So many folk shunned the 5.9L for the Hemi, and yet, if they had only realized that it could've been punched out properly, that Magnum would have made that much better power and low end torque, Dodge might have still had the Magnum as an option on the Ram. Me personally, I love that 5.9 Magnum. don't sleep on it, it's a diamond in the rough. Wish mines was a 5.9.

oh, heres a link about stroking the 5.9 with a super charger no less.....

http://www.truckinweb.com/brandpages/dodge/0303tr_dakota_408_stroker/index.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.