DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you back out of this thread about debadging please read first!!!

I have an 02 that has sat outside 24/7 since I got it in the fall of 2001. While I have read alot over the past 2 years about debadging I have found that no one really talks about what the paint looks like when you take them off after so long. I am worried that the paint won't look correct or blend in properly. I have always taken really good care of the paint with regular claying, polishes, and sealants since I got it. Anyone ever ran across this problem or should I not worry about it?

This is what I was going to do with the paint once the badges are off:

1) Clay Bar
2) Mother's prewax cleaner
3) 3M Imperial Hand Glaze
4) Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax or Meguiar's #26

Thanks in advance for all the thoughts!! :gr_patrio
:help:

Attachments

·
Registered
25,358 Posts
sounds like you have a good plan I just hope you are intending on using the eraser wheel I have posted about in other debadge threads it makes it so easy. As far as your paint there is a chance you will get some ghosting but from what I hear it will go away as long as you keep the truck polished or after time when the sun gets to work on your paint, you will love the patriot blue debadged!! I do

Attachments

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
dale3fan3 said:
As far as your paint there is a chance you will get some ghosting ...
I'd say he is guaranteed to have ghosting with a blue truck stored outside since 01. The question is will he be able to blend in the faded spots? Don't know ...

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
It will fade. Go for it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If your truck is an SLT try removing the small SLT badge from the tailgate. That is the first one that I removed to see if I could tell. I washed my truck and kept checking it in different light conditions to see if I could see anything, I couldn't tell where it was. Mind you, my badges were only on for a year before I removed them. I think that the worst case senerio is that you may have some ghosting in the right light, but 99% of the time you wouldn't be able to tell where the badges were. Let us know how it goes if you remove them.

Andrew

·
HEMI Power
993 Posts
I had to have the areas that I removed the badges from buffed out after I was finished removing them and the adhesive, and I only had the truck a couple of months when I did it. But then again, I have a white truck, so it may be a different scenario with your blue truck. Good Luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for replying everyone! Based on what I'm hearing now I am thinking this...

If I remove the D in Dodge on my tailgate and see that the ghosting is bad enough to notice after I apply all my junk couldn't I just reapply the D? Or do you think that I would need to take off 'Dodge" to get a better picture? What kind of adhesive do I need to reapply it back on?

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
I just debadged my 03 this weekend. I can see a little bit of the outline in the right light, but it's not too bad. I think it will fade to match the rest of the paint pretty quickly. I say go for it! They look so much better nekkid!

·
Registered
25,358 Posts
dlm017010 said:
Thanks for replying everyone! Based on what I'm hearing now I am thinking this...

If I remove the D in Dodge on my tailgate and see that the ghosting is bad enough to notice after I apply all my junk couldn't I just reapply the D? Or do you think that I would need to take off 'Dodge" to get a better picture? What kind of adhesive do I need to reapply it back on?
like said before I would remove the slt badge that way theres no real loss and nothing to reapply if there is ghosting and you dont want to continue and just for your knowledge I had some ghosting on muy 04 and I removed them in like 6 months of buying if I keep the truck polished you dont see it

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is going to sound sad....but my truck is the ST and I don't have ST badges. It was all I could afford going to college.

·
Registered
23,005 Posts
I say just debadge the entire tailgate. Get a good perpective of what it looks like. It will honestly show some sign of ghosting. But it will fade/blend in eventually. Especially with the summer coming up and with all the prepwork you plan on doing. I say just do it.

KB

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Good luck Bro! You'll love it when it's done!
:rck:

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I'm 100% pro debadging. But I had slight ghosting on my '04 in '04. Your gonna have worse prolly. But there's only one way to find out. :D

·
HEMIRAM
198 Posts
I vote debadge! Not a Ram, but I debaged my '97 GMC after 5 years of ownership and it didn't have the slightest hint of ghosting. It got clay, polish, and wax 2-3 times per year. My Ram got debadged right when I got it, but the Hemi badges didn't come off until after 18 months, and no ghosting there.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I say go for it, I just debadged the rear of my wifes '01 Sebring last weekend, it does have a little ghosting but you really have to look for it and I think it will fade pretty quick. I probably wouldn't have done it but the chrome was peeling off the letters, and I will definatly debadge the rest soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.