DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Brad
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know most of you all have a hemi, which owns my 4.7, but should i feel like a bitch with a 4.7? i have the sport apperance and dual flowmaster exhaust, but i feel like my engine isnt big enough or something. that like my truck is meant to have a hemi and the 4.7 is a bitch or something i dunno. my best friend has an 01 silverado with the 5.3 and even though my truck is brand new i feel incompetent around his truck (engine/power wise). what do you guys think? is a 4.7 a bitch engine for a truck?

·
Registered
219 Posts
All depends on what your truck is for, my 4.7 is perfect for me. If you feel you need more power, then step up!

·
Lovin that CTD!!!!!
345 Posts
It isint really a bitch motor. It is the little older brother of the HEMI. There are some people who wish that they bought the HEMI instead of the 4.7, but I say that you can get HEMI power for less money that it costs for the option for the HEMI. Between intake/exhaust, programmer, headers, and/or STS turbo you can easily have 340+ hp. for less than the $3000 option. Don't get me wrong I think that the HEMI is a great motor, I just think that if you want HEMI power without the cost, the 4.7 is a great motor and very reliable.

:rck:

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
I know folks here have got to be getting tired of me gushing about mine. I love it. Sure, my next Ram will prolly be a Hemi (more so that I can say "Yeah, it's got a Hemi!"). But my 4.7 can run with just about anything that messes with me, and on my last long trip averaged around 18.5 MPG. I've only begun on my mods and plan on smoking more and more people, and busting 20-something MPG while I'm at it.

I can't see where the 4.7 would be anyone's bitch....

·
2012 Texas Ram Express
4,220 Posts
i had a 4.7 powered ram, it was a 03' and it was alright, but a dog, got a new 05' HEMI Ram now, and do i love it, its so smooth and powerful, all the power i could ever want!!!!!!!!!, and better mpg than my 4.7 ever got!!!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The 4.7L V8 is a good engine.
Don't be ashamed or worried.
Just remember . . . you could have screwed up and bought a Ford.

·
Registered
176 Posts
my last truck had a 318 and it was good for 10 great years, after 13,000 miles with my new 4.7 so for I am getting better gas milage and more power, I love it!

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
If you want to check out a 4.7 that is anything but a biatch motor, check out AIR_RAM's....

·
A Little Show & No Go
543 Posts
Bradley, don't feel bad about your 4.7 my 3.7 is your bitch's bitch.

·
Registered
480 Posts
04 Silver Bulle said:
It isint really a bitch motor. It is the little older brother of the HEMI. There are some people who wish that they bought the HEMI instead of the 4.7, but I say that you can get HEMI power for less money that it costs for the option for the HEMI. Between intake/exhaust, programmer, headers, and/or STS turbo you can easily have 340+ hp. for less than the $3000 option. Don't get me wrong I think that the HEMI is a great motor, I just think that if you want HEMI power without the cost, the 4.7 is a great motor and very reliable.

:rck:

around here a hemi motor is only a $795 option over the 4.7 motor i dont know where you got $3000 from your dealer must of been b/sing you

my truck is a slt loaded longbed with the 3.92 gears and only cost $19,100 new and that was with a free bedliner

i can get a st model which is stripped with a hemi motor for only $16,500

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
LOL... H777 I think you should go look at the final numbers again. Sure they ADVERTISE it as a 700-900$ option but when the math is done and the dust clears the 4.7L is in most all cases 3000-5000 cheaper than the 5.7L... Thats allot of green bro. Im sure they where handing out some good OFFERS but when its all said and done the 4.7L is/was MUCH cheaper. By the sounds of it... you have some type of hook up at your dealership... Im sure the average person is not going to get the deals you can get... Heck I get GREAT deals all the time but that does not mean everyone gets the same deal... You got hooked up!

And speaking of HOOKING up... what the heck have you done to get decent traction off the line? I know you need it to get into the 12's.... Thats freaking crazy.

I had a choice between the 5.9L and the 4.7L.... for me it was an easy decission. The 5.9L was being discontinued and after test driving I felt the 4.7L was JUST as powerfull as the 5.9L. So I took the 4.7L... And Im sure if the 5.7L where an option I would own one.

As for the 4.7L being a bitch...... LOL I dont even think thats a fair statement at all. A bitch is somthing that turns around and gives up willing.... Heck my 47L QC isnt so willing and can take most STOCK 5.7L in the 1/8 no problem and even squeak a few off at the top of the 1/4 mile.... We are trading paint at that point but its close non the less... and sure the heck no where close to being a bitch. I have had MANY chevy/ford guys at the track accuse me for having a HEMI... LOL and I have had a few Stock HEMI guys accusing me for having a MODED HEMI.... LOL so it all depends on what you want.... there is a limit to what you can do with a 4.7L... thats not a secret. But with the right mods you can command plenty of respect on the war path.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
480 Posts
AIR_RAM said:
LOL... H777 I think you should go look at the final numbers again. Sure they ADVERTISE it as a 700-900$ option but when the math is done and the dust clears the 4.7L is in most all cases 3000-5000 cheaper than the 5.7L... Thats allot of green bro. Im sure they where handing out some good OFFERS but when its all said and done the 4.7L is/was MUCH cheaper. By the sounds of it... you have some type of hook up at your dealership... Im sure the average person is not going to get the deals you can get... Heck I get GREAT deals all the time but that does not mean everyone gets the same deal... You got hooked up!

And speaking of HOOKING up... what the heck have you done to get decent traction off the line? I know you need it to get into the 12's.... Thats freaking crazy.

I had a choice between the 5.9L and the 4.7L.... for me it was an easy decission. The 5.9L was being discontinued and after test driving I felt the 4.7L was JUST as powerfull as the 5.9L. So I took the 4.7L... And Im sure if the 5.7L where an option I would own one.

As for the 4.7L being a bitch...... LOL I dont even think thats a fair statement at all. A bitch is somthing that turns around and gives up willing.... Heck my 47L QC isnt so willing and can take most STOCK 5.7L in the 1/8 no problem and even squeak a few off at the top of the 1/4 mile.... We are trading paint at that point but its close non the less... and sure the heck no where close to being a bitch. I have had MANY chevy/ford guys at the track accuse me for having a HEMI... LOL and I have had a few Stock HEMI guys accusing me for having a MODED HEMI.... LOL so it all depends on what you want.... there is a limit to what you can do with a 4.7L... thats not a secret. But with the right mods you can command plenty of respect on the war path.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

i'm still having traction problems i need some real slicks that are taller then the 26inch mickeys that i have they are also killing my top end speed because i'm in 4th gear over drive at the 1100ft mark also with the better traction i can run a bigger shot for better times

AIR RAM......how much is a loaded slt r/c long bed ram with the 4.7 going for???? i do know alot of guys are getting hemi trucks for less then $20k new

how much was your q/c with the 4.7 motor????.......theres dealers here selling slt q/c with the hemi for $23k new

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
04 Silver Bulle said:
for less than the $3000 option.
My hemi was a $995 dollar option. Try to buy an STS setup for that. ;)

There's nothing wrong with the 4.7. Other than being slower and having less torqe. It's plenty of motor to haul one of these trucks around. Just not "in style". Be glad you don't have a six banger, then everyone would laugh at you. :D

Attachments

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
LMAO! Now THAT'S good!!! :thatfunny

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My dealer had a couple of SLT 4.7s otherwise identically equipped to my hemi and they were less than $1,000 cheaper. You can search online dealer inventories and find the same thing today. You should be able to get either for dealer invoice minus any rebates.

Added: Oh yea. I don't know what a bitch engine is. My last truck had the 4.7 and it's a reliable motor. It just doesn't have the same stock power as the hemi.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
04 Silver Bulle said:
...the 4.7 is a great motor and very reliable...
I like the little 4.7L Magnum very much, I really don't think there is any reason to hate that little thing.

Seriously though: the little 287Cid is the next thing closest to a Hemi, being a Poly engine...and it will suit you well!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The only way I could see the hemi engine ending up more expensive than the $995 motor option price is when you are comparing base trucks. The hemi motor forces you to buy some options; options that you don't have to buy with the 4.7l such as anti-spin rear and automatic trans. There are probably more than those 2. The auto trans alone is over $1100, add that to the $995 hemi option & your over $2000 already & all you wanted was the hemi engine option. I don't know about now but in 2003 you also had to get 4 wheel anti locks brakes ($500 option) if you wanted the hemi engine.

But for someone that is going to get the auto trans or anti spin rear, etc. no matter what engine is chosen then in the end the hemi will come out only the $995 more.

I can't see the hemi engine being $3000-$5000 more than the 4.7l except for the reasons I stated above.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
I agreed to 28,000 bucks on my 2002 SLT 4.7L....It turned out to be 31,000 out the door. But I was one of the FIRST kids on the block with the 3rd Gen Ram and I still feel I got a great deal on it. That is one STRONG engine. Yeahh Im sure today there are more deals going around that when I purchased my RAM... but still that HEMI option cost a BUNCH more than what your all led to beleive. If you put two of the same trucks together with the only difference being the 4.7L and 5.7L ... I will bet that the 4.7L will cost 2,000- 3,000 bucks less EASY...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Air ram
You must be comparing dealer selling price.

I'm just considering sticker price.

I do believe dealer price could vary alot depending on location & customer demand.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.