DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2002 Dodge Ram 4x2 SLT QC with a 4.7L auto. It will turn 100k miles this weekend and is paid for. Only problems to date has been 2 replacement radiators and some a/c work 3 weeks ago, otherwise just maintenance and a good truck. I have an opportunity to purchase 2 trucks for about the same price (I will list them below). My last truck before the Dodge was a 2000 F350 powerstroke CC LWB 4x4 with a 5.5" lift and 35's. I am 32, single, no kids, tow about 4 times a year, use the bed of a truck to haul stuff around, like to drive fast and corner hard, and can afford a new truck. I know they have discontinued the SRT-10 and the new 6.7 Cummins is coming out in January (I will only buy new, not used). All opinions would be appreciated to keep current truck or buy one of the new ones (I would have to trade mine and finance the difference), I keep loosing sleep over the decision..... :) Thanks in advance!

- 2006 RC SRT-10 black Night Runner Edition (400 made) - $50,000 msrp
- 2006 2500 QC Cummins Sport 4x4 Auto, leather, power sunroof and rear glass - $47,000 msrp

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
Depends on whether you like fuel mileage or not :D
One is at the top of the chain and one is at the bottom. I think you already know which one I would recommend. :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Perrsonally I'd go for the QC Cummins. You can make a diesel haul-a$$ with a little work.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't care about fuel mileage much, especially given the price difference between diesel and gasoline due to the new EPA regs. I assume it would take some serious $$$ to make a Diesel run a 13 sec 1/4 mile like an SRT-10..... :D

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,638 Posts
The SRT-10 is a sweet truck for sure, but I would go with the Cummins 4x4. I'm a person that depends on 4 wheel drive for the mountains, and I like the idea of a 2500 for hauling heavy things when needed.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
blk_fxstc said:
Don't care about fuel mileage much, especially given the price difference between diesel and gasoline due to the new EPA regs. I assume it would take some serious $$$ to make a Diesel run a 13 sec 1/4 mile like an SRT-10..... :D
Not as much as you think. The biggest expense would be the tranny mods to handle the torque that you'd need to put out to run 13's.
The thing to think about is how long you want to keep the truck and if it is to be your daily driver. To me, it seems like a lot of guys who have the SRT10's have it as an extra vehicle. They don't use it as a daily driver typically. Plus, I wonder how long it would take to get bored of it, and want to move on to something else. It's a toy.
The CTD on the other hand, is a truck you can plan on putting 200K + miles on before even thinking about getting rid of it, and drive every day.

Depends on what you want. I was looking at the SRT's before I bought my CTD and spent a little time on the SRT section of Dodgetalk, but there doesn't seem to be the same passion with those as most of us would be used to. Spend some time over at http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

I think it would still be fun to own an SRT10 someday...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some more info from responses:

- I don't need a 4x4, it would just be for fun, don't care for the 4x2 in the heavy duty. Any towing or hauling I do can be done with a 1/2 ton truck.
- it will be a daily driver
- I have gotten bored with my current automatic truck
- I usually turn vehicles over every 2 years or so (to keep my interest, I get bored with the same vehicle for a long time), my current truck has made it 4 years.

Keep the opinions coming!!! :D

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
If you trade every two years you will get more of your money back on the CTD then you will on a high mile SRT/10. The only way you could keep the value up on the SRT is by not driving it and keeping the mileage very low.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
If you plan on turning it in 2 years or so, buy the SRT10 and have some fun with it. It may be somewhat of a "collectors item" by then as they won't make them anymore. Then you could trade it in on the new 6.7 CTD with the 6speed auto tranny than is due out for '07. By '08 (when you trade in the SRT), any bugs would have been worked out of the new truck.
One last thought...be ready to take a bath on the SRT in 2 years. If you pay anywhere near $50K, you will be very upside down.

·
4x4, Straight pipe roar!
2,538 Posts
I'd get the cummins. Like said before, those can be made to go like a srt for a few dollars and you will get way, way, way more money on trade with a ctd than a srt 10. I also wouldn't want to beat on an srt 10 every day as a daily driver. I mean, not that it couldn't take it, just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts

·
Getting my life back!
944 Posts
I think they are both awesome trucks, but if you just don't need 4wd, get the SRT-10. I think that would be a really fun truck to own. I wouldn't buy the new 6.7 because they need at least the first year to get the bugs out. Although either one would be awesome, it sure is nice to have a paid for vehicle...lol.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ram3500Dually said:
If you trade every two years you will get more of your money back on the CTD then you will on a high mile SRT/10. The only way you could keep the value up on the SRT is by not driving it and keeping the mileage very low.
I agree 100%. Mileage should be lower on the new truck as I will be moving closer to work soon.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would be getting the SRT-10 at a 15k discount from MSRP and Archer has the 2500 I am interested in. SRT-10's are not holding value from MSRP, but there are many deals out there right now so I won't take too big of a bath if I were to turn it (plus I will be on a short term note).

Any opinions on getting the current cummins instead of waiting for the 6.7? I know the 6 speed will be an improvement along with the displacement, but is it worth it considering they will be trying to move the remaining 5.9L's?

·
Registered
35,849 Posts
The only thing I would be leery on with the new 6.7 is all the smog stuff that will be on it and the lack of aftermarket support when it comes out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.