DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 74 power wagon with a 440. Been hacing issues starting. Getting no fuel to carb. I replaced lines fuel filter and pump. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
  1. Rather not, my truck is down cause of 2 shops. I preffer working on my own stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought this site helped with ideas. Im cert bike mech. Made mistake taking my truck to shops it just gets worse. Ill figure it out myself . Thanks for finding a mech advice charlem....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, it's like a bike in that there's not much else.

Check that you HAVE fuel (my brother the 140IQ engineer has been caught that way twice ... ), check that you can suck fuel out of the tank, check that the lines from the tank to the pump on the motor aren't pinched, check that you can suck fuel to there (of course, I don't have to tell you, but for others, DON'T SUCK WITH YOUR MOUTH. Use a mechanical pump to suck the fuel with! Like one of those drill pumps if nothing else ... ), and check the fuel filter to make sure it's not plugged. Isolate what's good, and what's left is what's bad.

EDIT: You may also need to pull the new pump, and make sure that the fuel eccentric on the end of the cam is working. Or a quick check; while turning it over, peek through the fuel filler and make sure the valves are being operated. To verify that you don't have a busted timing chain, causing there to be no fuel pumping. Not an impossible failure on a RB motor, and depending on the cam and heads, one that might let the motor still turn over.

RwP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive done all youve suggested lines pump filter are all good. Deffinetly have fuel. Guess ill have to deal with timming chain. Not what i wanted to dig into ha. Thanks much.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Crank it over by hand and see if the valves are operating; listen carefully and feel to make sure you don't have a catastrophic piston/valve kiss.

If that's good, take the pump off, and with a screwdriver against the fuel eccentric, crank it over by hand again and see if the eccentric is, well, eccentric.

If you're lucky, it'll turn out to be a bad factory pump.

AFTER making sure that there's no piston/valve contact, see if it'll start with starting fluid.

RwP

·
Red Trucker
2,077 Posts
Crank it over by hand and see if the valves are operating; listen carefully and feel to make sure you don't have a catastrophic piston/valve kiss.

If that's good, take the pump off, and with a screwdriver against the fuel eccentric, crank it over by hand again and see if the eccentric is, well, eccentric.

If you're lucky, it'll turn out to be a bad factory pump.

AFTER making sure that there's no piston/valve contact, see if it'll start with starting fluid.

RwP
It should be mentioned here that you wouldn't be feeling against the eccentric itself, big block Mopars use a pushrod that rides the cam eccentric and strokes the fuel pump. If you need to replace the pushrod for any reason (or just wanna take it out and look) you'll see a pipe plug; that's how you pull it out. See pics below:

So be careful

·
Red Trucker
2,077 Posts
Ah. Thanks for the correction. I was thinking Ford/Chevy/LA type designs.

RwP
I figured as much

I have a 74 power wagon with a 440. Been hacing issues starting. Getting no fuel to carb. I replaced lines fuel filter and pump. Any ideas?
Are you not getting fuel INTO the carb itself or not to the carb at all? What carb are you using, stock Thermo quad?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After all the work i did. My brother came back from overseas told me check fuel pump shaft may of mushroomed . Pull it out toss in electric fuel pump. Shaft is smashed on pretty good. Issues pulling it out. Got mad and walked off . Ill deal with it later haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts