DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 97 ram 1500 short bed single cab 2wd and when the truck is cold the trans slips..i have remote start so i worm it b 4 i drive and its fine but its not 100% working so im sure it will gt worse to where it will always slip..so i dont know whats wrong with it.it has surged rps a couple times but only like 2 in a month..im lost and i did add lucus trans fix didnt help when cold..fluid is not burned and level is ok

· Transmission Man!
3,519 Posts
I would drop the pan for an inspection.

· Transmission Man!
3,519 Posts
The bottom inside the pan should not have material in it(metal,clutch/band fiber material etc.)

· Registered
11 Posts
I have 96 3500 V-10, and my trans. will not go unless I wait for a few seconds maybe 15, I took it to the shop and they charged me $ 500.00 to repair, and it is doing the same thing with less than a thousand miles on repair. I want to pull a 5th wheel but nervous about that issue when cold. I don't know if that is what you are experiencing as well? This is my second transmission first failed at 76,000 miles, now have 134,000. Any suggestions?

· Registered
73,362 Posts
It sounds like you need a new Tranny filter. You can warm the motor up all day and it won't effect the Tranny temperature.

· Registered
11 Posts
I just had it in the Dodge Dealer and they replaced a sensor and something else, replaced filter, and added new fluid, unless the new filter is bad. I guess I will have to take it back to them. I was hoping someone else had experienced this same thing.
Thanks for your tip.

· Love my 66 monaco 500
1,236 Posts
I purchased a '96 Road Runner that had a slipping problem only when it was cold.
After the trans warmed up it worked fine but for the first 4 or 5 minutes if you got in the gas it would slip. The clutch seals had become brittle and they didn't seal until they got hot and pliable. I don't know if '97 seals could become hard but that's my experience. If you are talking about just a 5 to 10 second period after you put it in gear after you start it, it is converter drain back, put the selector in neutral for 5 seconds before drive or reverse and it should feel normal.
My $.02
Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.