DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to extend my hand, and ask to be admitted to the "I have a matching spare rim club" ;) I know I'm being "Bragadoshush" or "Bragatorial" (are those words ?)

On a diff. subject-when I was cranking up and down the spare tire I thought "there must be a better way" - Now If any of you say you have already thought of this, I won't believe it. I used a 3/8 cordless drill-with a common adapter and one of my stock jack extension legs. And I lowered and raised my spare in about 5 seconds ea. way. Right hand on the drill-left hand on the spare. Works great. See Picts. I always take a cordless drill camping. :crazy:

Attachments

·
Moab Tested
7,252 Posts
Nice idea! :IDEA: :tup:

·
Code Red
2,612 Posts
Ok, I won't tell you I already do that.. <grin> I actually adapted to that idea from using a drill on my popup back when I had to manually lift it.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
A word of caution: I also have a matching spare wheel and it gets all tore up from rocks thrown up by the tires while driving down dirt roads. I bought a tire cover and put it on the spare to protect the wheel. I only had it under there for a month and it already had a bunch nicks and chips out of it.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Ya.. it's a great idea!!!. What the hell do you think theives do? I had my spare stolen a few months ago, almost 400 bucks for a new tire/rim, replacement. I advise you go to Dodge and get the locking mechanism for your spare instead of the quick removal idea. Just a thought.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use a cable and pad lock-always-just to make it a little bit harder !

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got mine, too

but I'm going to keep the steelie underneath. The matching spare will be used for rotation, and carried on expeditions where the real possibility of more than one flat exists.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
but I'm going to keep the steelie underneath. The matching spare will be used for rotation, and carried on expeditions where the real possibility of more than one flat exists.
I had two flats on my last expedition-I was grateful I had a patch kit-One tire was destroyed the other I patched with no leak-I still don't want to carry two spares though. Also just for grins-the steel rim weighs 37 lbs. the Aluminum rim is 24lbs.

·
Registered
420 Posts
NO BS, I started this on my 97 model... with a welded bar that was ground to fit, but Great idea, I have several non power wagon guys doing the same. I have a cheap drill in the truck just for this.

BTW, I always have the spare cable locked. I see folks daily driving around in trucks with the hanger just swinging, and most probably do not even know yet.

Lock it out or do with out........

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NO BS, I started this on my 97 model... with a welded bar that was ground to fit, but Great idea, I have several non power wagon guys doing the same. I have a cheap drill in the truck just for this.

BTW, I always have the spare cable locked. I see folks daily driving around in trucks with the hanger just swinging, and most probably do not even know yet.

Lock it out or do with out........
Chip or Rat-You and Me are on the same page- I thought I had invented something-but I new better in my heart. But like me, I know there are folks that will benefit from this idea cuz we all don't know about it.... I think we should have a dedicated page for time savers. What do you think ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts