DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after reading about MadTitan removing his muffler and leaving his resonator on, I decided that this might actually give me the sound I was looking for. So after all considered(hell my muffler guy's only charging me $20 bones to do it and $10 to reinstall the stocker if I didn't like it) I took it in this morning and after 15 mins of work, my big red machine came downward on the lift and the man hit the keys and cranked it.....

I almost shat myself! If anyone has ever heard a LS1 with the SLP Loudmouth exhaust, you'll know exactly what it sounds like. Man, it doesn't rap or pop like flowmasters I've had, and makes a nice smooth rumble through the RPMs.....

Hardly noticeable at idle, but sounds GREAT when you open it up or even when you're cruising around town!

Now I'm gonna throw me a Chrome tip on it(stock location) and be done with my exhaust, with all of $50 invested(including tip)

BTW - I also noticed it did rev quicker and picked up some definite power on the assometer, as some had inquired about loss of bottom end torque, I would highly doubt I loss enough to tell...

Definitely a worthwhile mod, and MANY THANKS TO MAD TITAN!!!

:D
BVest65

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I'm well aware of the sound of a Loudmouth. That's awesome. :cool:

·
Registered
318 Posts
1. Do you get any resonance in the cabin at higher RPMs?

2. How about noise at highway speeds?

3. Do you get the braaaaaap when downshifting?

Thanks,
Glen

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
XPLOSV,

1.) I get absolutely no resonance in the cab at the higher RPMs(nothing like my two other Dodge Trucks that had flowmaster exhaust)

2.) It is actually really quiet at Highway speeds, took it for a trip this weekend about an hour away and surprising I actually forgot I had it done 3/4 of the time...

3.) It DOES do the braaaaaap when downshifting, but the only time I heard it is when I happened to be downshifting under and underpass....kinda scared me actually lol but I don't normally drive my truck hard enough to have to hear it do that(I was at about WOT when that happened)

HTH
BVest65

·
Registered
385 Posts
i like to do that but then, will it pass inspection? I think someone around here said it wont pass state inspection with it removed...

·
C HEMI GO
1,739 Posts
BBHemipower said:
i like to do that but then, will it pass inspection? I think someone around here said it wont pass state inspection with it removed...
It probably won't. Move to a state without inspection :)

·
All Black and All BADA&%!
1,087 Posts
I had these mod done when my truck had 50 miles on the clock. Been lovin it ever since.

·
Registered
318 Posts
BBHemipower said:
I've heard the same thing, particularly in Texas counties that will have emissions testing. Houston and Dallas already do, and Austin is getting it this October.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had something similar in my 02 Z28 I traded in for this truck. it was a true 3" exhaust from the y-pipe back that had a 3" Dynomax Race bullet in it (about the same thing as a resonator). It sounded great and got tons of compliments - but my truck isn't going to be that loud. I am starting to enjoy a quiet ride ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Menace said:
I had something similar in my 02 Z28 I traded in for this truck. it was a true 3" exhaust from the y-pipe back that had a 3" Dynomax Race bullet in it (about the same thing as a resonator). It sounded great and got tons of compliments - but my truck isn't going to be that loud. I am starting to enjoy a quiet ride ;)
Wow, seems like I'm hearing myself talk when you say that! I traded in my '97 Z28 (Hooker Long Tubes, no cats, with a flowmaster in the stock location and a cutout before the axle) and when I bought this truck, it was sweet relief to be away from that noise. But now that I've owned my truck for almost a year, I can't stand 3G Rams running by me with an exhaust, guess it's an inferiorority complex? :crazy:

Anyways, I like the sound my truck has now, but I think I'm gonna see if I can locate another stock resonator(or equivelant) to put where the stock muffler was and hopefully ease off some of the rapping it does....

Billy

·
Registered
16 Posts
this might sound and be a stupid question but just for my info wheres the resinator on the exhaust? i'm not real familiar with newer modle exhaust. ive only owned a ford ranger (minitruck) and i took everything off behind the y-pipe and put on a new muffler and side exit pipe so if somebody could explain it for me or BVest65 if you could et me a pic so i can understand how this works so i could get it done myself? Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
BVest65 said:
Definitely a worthwhile mod, and MANY THANKS TO MAD TITAN!!!

BVest65

Rock the fug on!!!
:rck: :rck: :rck: :rck:

I need to get off my butt and take some pics of mine and record some video of it running.

People ya just don't KNOW!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yo, Mad Titan, you live up there in Dallas; what do you do when the annual state inspection and emissions testing roll around? Do they pass you with the straight pipe?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
XPLOSV said:
Yo, Mad Titan, you live up there in Dallas; what do you do when the annual state inspection and emissions testing roll around? Do they pass you with the straight pipe?
I have no idea.
My truck is brand new and doesn't need to be inspected for another year.
We'll see what happens - I'm going to try to pass off my resonator as my muffler.
I don't think I'll have any problems . . . besides, I'm a member of the local Camaro club.
If I can't get it to pass legally there are other ways of getting an inspection sticker . . . ;)

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
i dropped the muffler as well and left the resinator on... if you get pulled over for noise (it isnt that loud) the resinator looks like a muffler (ramthis05: its las in line on the exhaust, right before the tip)... it is kinda high ptch, not much interior resonence at all... best $25 mod i have done so far! (aside from the $8 tinting my taillights black!) if you need to smog it, just have the shop throw on the old muffler (hell, have them tack it on to the end of your tailpipe for a day!) lol

·
C HEMI GO
1,739 Posts
viper24 said:
i dropped the muffler as well and left the resinator on... if you get pulled over for noise (it isnt that loud) the resinator looks like a muffler (ramthis05: its las in line on the exhaust, right before the tip)... it is kinda high ptch, not much interior resonence at all... best $25 mod i have done so far! (aside from the $8 tinting my taillights black!) if you need to smog it, just have the shop throw on the old muffler (hell, have them tack it on to the end of your tailpipe for a day!) lol
I look at yours in your gallery. How come the new pipe looks maller than the stock one it is welded to?

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
the stock pipe is 2 3/4 and i think they put on a 2 1/2... they beveled the other tip to fit around the stock pipe....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Callin' around the muffler shops here in San Diego to get the same thing done and they are freaking out on me. "Why the hell do you want to do that?!" "Your gas milage is going to go down the drain!" "you want us to hack the muffler and put the resonator back on, how the...what the..." You get the idea.....

After the muffler is hacked, do they need to put another pipe in it's place and attach the resonator to that, or can they just hack the muffler, join the ends back together with the resonator?

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
scoochy said:
Callin' around the muffler shops here in San Diego to get the same thing done and they are freaking out on me. "Why the hell do you want to do that?!" "Your gas milage is going to go down the drain!" "you want us to hack the muffler and put the resonator back on, how the...what the..." You get the idea.....

After the muffler is hacked, do they need to put another pipe in it's place and attach the resonator to that, or can they just hack the muffler, join the ends back together with the resonator?
Gas mileage won't do nothing. No gains, no loss.

Have a straight pipe put in place of the muffler. No need moving everything.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
check out the pic in my gallery... just remove the muffler and put on pipe... takes less than 15 mins for a shop...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.