DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are ALOT of options, so far Gates for 38 bucks shipped seemed like a good price. But I want it to last. So for MY truck, can someone point me in the right direction? My stock one is grooved, does it need to be? It seems like it would be less prone to having a belt fly off. Dayco? OEM? (overpriced imo).

Thanks

I am also getting both idler pulleys. If anyone has replaced all 3 of these on an 03-05 or so 2500 Hemi, part numbers or links would be GREATLY appreciated. ;) Thanks

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I had a dayco tensioner with dayco steel idler pullies, when I did the summit pulley the belt was chirping when wet, replaced tensioner with oe and all was good. OE was a lot beefier than the aftermarkets, spend the extra, go OE on this. Also for the belt I got the new Dayco W-groove, real nice rugged belt.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a Gates belt (there latest) and it is holding very well. As far as OEM, you say oem on all pulleys? Or just the tensioner. The temsioner feels tight, but when running, it slightly moves up and down, and the pulley rattles a tad. The up and down I read is normal, but the pulley for sure needs to be replaced. I was thinking about just doing the entire tensioner and pulley assembly anyway. Do you have a link or reccomendation to the best wholesale (cheapest) oem link to get parts?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I got my tensioner at my local dealer, the steel idler pulleys I got from advance auto parts, the up/down movement is normal but it should not rattle.

·
Fathead
1,046 Posts
You also have the option of just replacing the pulley on the tensioner if you want. If the tensioner still has plenty of force there is no need to replace the whole thing. It will take a few minutes longer, but...

I used all gates parts and ordered them from Rockauto when I did my 04.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You also have the option of just replacing the pulley on the tensioner if you want. If the tensioner still has plenty of force there is no need to replace the whole thing. It will take a few minutes longer, but...

I used all gates parts and ordered them from Rockauto when I did my 04.

Do you recall the Gates part numbers? If not ok, thanks.

·
Fathead
1,046 Posts
Sorry, I don't... If you're really concerned you could pull the parts off and bring them to the parts store with you. You're going to take them off anyway and it doesn't take long.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got it figured out, ordered yesterday;)

·
BEE Ready!
1,274 Posts
Just ordered mine too :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.