DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's really the last, 'inespensive' bolt on mod I can do. I found some gibson that should fit for $350.00 on Ebay.

http://search.ebay.com/4-7L-exhaust...adisZ200QQfposZQ5AIPQ2FPostalQQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

I've hear differing opinions as to headers value, but for $370 for them with shipping and $200 for the install, I think the 10 - 25 HP gain I'll get will be worth it. Plus they'll work nicely with all the other mods I've done.

About to pull the tigger on these, just have to call to make sure they fit as they don't list the Durango specifically. (Dakota is what they're listed for).

I hear gibson is a good brand, so fit and finish should be fine. Any last advice here on these? I really want to treat myself here, and even if they only give me 10 - 15 HP that's worth it.

What's triggered this is my 11 hour drive from Sunnyvale CA to Phoenix trek last night. Did it solo for moving purposes. Had my D fully loaded with my moving stuff including 400 lbs of weights, (plates, 4 45lbs, 2 35 lbs, 2 25lbs) my dobbie, (100 lbs) and lots of other stuff. I'm guessing about 1,000 lbs of more gear. Even with the extra load and thanks to my mods, the D performed flawlessly. It amazed me to still had power to spare, even up hills! I was curious as it how the extra weight would effect it and nada! In fact the ride was actually smoother with the added weight. Blisteins helped I'm sure along with the sways.

On a lonely stretch of 10 in the Arizona desert I even took it up to 120 MPH and it still had more. Anyway really happy with it, so that's why I've decided to go with headers as my last and final mod. Squeezing the last bit of oomph out of the D I guess.

Feedback welcome!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I'd check with the seller or Gibson if they will work on the D. There are some subtle differences between the D and the Dak engine compartments. I just checked another site that sells Gibson and there different part numbers.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do, thanks Neil.

·
Registered
834 Posts
How did you get it up to 120 MPH? The stock speed limiter only lets it go to about 105 MPH. Did you have your PCM flashed? You'll get far better results from a flash then the smaller gains you'll get from installing headers on a 4.7L.

·
Patriot....
3,375 Posts
Bamboo said:
How did you get it up to 120 MPH? The stock speed limiter only lets it go to about 105 MPH. Did you have your PCM flashed? You'll get far better results from a flash then the smaller gains you'll get from installing headers on a 4.7L.
yep, mine topped at 106 on Autobahn 6, would go no more :D .

I for one, would say get the headers AND the programmer!

·
Backwoods Hillbilly
995 Posts
Weird... my stock cut off at 115 as well. I wonder if the 5.9 and 5.2 limiter is different. [edit: nope, I just noticed Kevin has a 1999 5.2 too... even more weird]

Of course, with the Mopar PCM I don't have to worry about the limiter at all... there is none. :rck:

·
Registered
30 Posts
my D toped out at 115 also before the mods

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the Jet Chip Stage 2 (see sig) which eliminates the top speed limiter as well as opitimizes fuel, air, etc mixture.

What's interersting is right when I hit 120 MPH on the speedo, my engine kinda of 'chugged' for lack of a better word, and I immediately took my foot off the gas. It was in the middle of nowhere on HWY 10 in the Arizona Desert at 3 AM. So I'm not sure if 120 MPH is still the limit for the 4.7L engine even with the chip. This is no exaggeration guys, I pegged the spedo at 120 MPH, then quickly backed off after it did that 'shudder.'

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
that "chug" your refering to is the fuel cut off due to speed. it seems even with the elimination of the speed limiter you hit your rev limiter and you got cut off.

·
BigSLIMM
209 Posts
Happy with my Gibson headers. JCWhitney sells them for the 4.7. But it is a special order so it takes about 2 weeks. However clearly the best price when I got them. Your price quote is pretty good. Really anything below $400 is good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.