DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i have stated, I have just gotten done with 'fixing' the wiring problems with this truck. Now I cant start it with the key???(actually never have been able to) On the bulkhead connector(in engine compartment)that has the engine wires(oil,water,ign),there is a 'PINK' wire in the lower right(pass side)corner of the plug. Where does this go? I have traced it under the dash,and it goes to the ign switch.. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
-Lance

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Remind me what year your truck is?

On my '73, the pink wire from the ignition switch goes to the ballast resistor (my wiring is actually the '74 version). It;s called "ignition 2" and it provides power directly to the coil when starting the truck.

You will save yourself a ton of time and hassle if you get a proper wiring diagram for your year truck...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I can cross the starter relay and it starts. How about a neutral safety switch? Where it is located? BTW my truck is a 1975 D100 318,727. Thanks
-Lance

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Remind me what year your truck is?

On my '73, the pink wire from the ignition switch goes to the ballast resistor (my wiring is actually the '74 version). It;s called "ignition 2" and it provides power directly to the coil when starting the truck.

You will save yourself a ton of time and hassle if you get a proper wiring diagram for your year truck...
I removed all of that. I did the HEI module swap...
-Lance

·
Mopar Madness - Get it...
4,032 Posts
I would say there are several possibilities....

If it starts and runs (Jumping the relay with a screwdriver, or whatever)

You KNOW the ignition system works.... As it will start and stay running, right?

So....

Bad ignition switch
Bad connector between ignition switch and bulkhead
Bad bulkhead connections
Bad 'connection' with wire/connectors of any of the above
Bad Neutral Safety switch (Crawl under the truck on the driver's side... Look towards the front of the tranny... You'll see the NSS about 1/2 way up with a connector with 3 wires on it...)

How do you like the HEI module, now that you got it in? Sweet, eh?? :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the truck had an MSD coil when I got it. I started it yesterday,then it died.Dont know if it had enough fuel or what.
This mornig I looked up the # on the coil and it says for MSD ignitions. Is this going to pose a problem?.....what about an E-CORE coil? Thanks Again
-Lance

·
440 and a 4 speed
976 Posts
Well the truck had an MSD coil when I got it. I started it yesterday,then it died.Dont know if it had enough fuel or what.
This mornig I looked up the # on the coil and it says for MSD ignitions. Is this going to pose a problem?.....what about an E-CORE coil? Thanks Again
-Lance

If it is an MSD Blaster 2 or 3 coil - you should be just fine with your ignition system - it's a coil that handles full 12 volts.

Check for full positive voltage to your HEI / Coil setup in the "start" mode - sometimes the "feed" gets shut off in the start position.

I believe the NSS will not allow the starter to even engage - so if the motor is cranking - then the NSS is fine (or bypassed)

·
440 and a 4 speed
976 Posts
I should clarify something...

alot of the other electrical circuits are "turned off" when you turn the key to the start position - i think it was to allow for most of the voltage to go to cranking and firing of the motor - one of the big heavy pink wires that goes to the the ignition switch will feed the switchable circuits in your fuse box - and that power is cut off when the key switch is in off and in start position but on in "normal" run position.

I think you might have your HEI feed on one of those circuits - which will work because you need it to shut off when the key is turned off...otherwise that motor will run when you turn the key off.....

If this is the case (and I did something like this in my 69 Charger), I ran a "secret" pushbutton start switch - which I pressed while cranking the engine with the key - and that switch provided full voltage to the ignition box - that fired the motor....once it cranked...I released the key (as normal) and released the "start" switch...things ran fine and I could shut off the engine...

Best part is, "Friends" who wanted to joyride the Charger couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't start when they "borrowed" my keys...it'd crank all day long with no fire - then it really blew their minds when I told them they didn't talk to the car the right way...I jumped in...told the car I missed her...and it "fired" right up for me...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.