DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i posted this on the 2G dakota forum and havent had any replies. so i am reposting this on the 3G forum hoping to get some info. thanks.

i have a 1998 dakota, 3.9L, V-6, 78000 miles. i change the plugs around every 25K miles. every plug looked like normal wear until i got to the #5 cylinder/plug. when i pulled it was soaked in fresh oil. not kinda wet, but dripping like i had dipped it in oil.

my truck isnt blowing out black smoke on the exhaust end and rides like a dream, smooth and purrs nice.

i am afraid it is the cylinder rings that have gone bad, but i have read it could be a valve seal?

am i totally S.O.L.?
has anyone else had this problem?
any remedies?

thank you
las vegas.

·
Retired Guy
1,239 Posts
Take it to a garage that has a computer to hook it up,sounds to me like it should be misfiring somehow...
??????
good luck

·
All Around Great Guy
12,675 Posts
do a compression test on that cylinder and if it is good and is close to the other cylinders, you could have a bad valve seal. A good sign of poor piston rings is blue smoke coming out of tailpipe after you accelerate hard then decel when manifold vacuum is high and pulls the oil past the oil control rings

·
Registered
240 Posts
If your valve stem seal is bad, then you will see a nice puff of smoke come out when you start in the morning. Also when you get on the gas after being idle for a bit.

Is your valve cover gasket leaking? Maybe oil went into the plug and when you r e moved it , it got soaked?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Exhaust Depot said:
If your valve stem seal is bad, then you will see a nice puff of smoke come out when you start in the morning. Also when you get on the gas after being idle for a bit.

Is your valve cover gasket leaking? Maybe oil went into the plug and when you r e moved it , it got soaked?
With no smoke...I'd bet on this one being the answer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.