DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck's been eating about a quart of oil per week. Probably has something to do with my tranny and torque converter going out and having to mash the go pedal to get anywhere. The tranny and TC finally died, and as I was looking the truck over to see what else was wrong or needed attention, I came across some oily goo on the tail pipe. I rubbed my finger over the inside of the tail pipe, and was rewarded with an oily, black finger.

I'm worried about the catalytic converter. I'm guessing that if I've been burning that much oil, and there was plenty on the tail pipe - that would mean that the cat's pretty well blocked with oil.

The other problem is that I bought the truck with 104,000 miles on it. The check engine light came on the second day I had it (tc error code). That means that I really don't have any point of reference to what the truck should "feel" like. My gas milage sucks - even for the 360. But I don't know if its from a blocked cat, or a slipping tranny - or both.

Is there any way I'd be able to check the cat to see if it's blocked? Or am I better off whacking the cat off, throwing it away, and getting some kinda high flow cat and hope my wife forgives me for spending even more money on the truck? :thatfunny

·
Registered
333 Posts
The oil consumption could be because of a bad plenium gasket, i'm pretty sure when it gets bad enough, as it sounds like yours is, you lose power.

A way to check is to take off the air filter box and look though the throttle body and if its oily in there....theres a good chance it could be your problem.
Not sure, just a suggestion....hope you get it figured out

·
Same Name, Different Game
9,640 Posts
I hate to say this, but your truck is at a point where it's going to start costing you some cash. Any vehicle that has over a 100,000 miles on it (other than a CTD) is going to start getting expensive. Quickest way to fix it is a 4-Sale sign. Otherwise good luck, cause it doesn't sound good!

·
Did I do that?!?
153 Posts
I'll have to respectfully disagree with 04Ram2500Hemi. I can not afford to buy a new vehicle even as often as every 10 years, so I ensure I keep up with maintenance on my vehicles and overall the most expensive single money outlay was 1000 when I dropped the tranny.

My first truck traded off at 180,000, my second at 260,000. The higher milage one still pulled a 3500# boat/trailer weekly too.

Look over your engine and a Haynes or Chiltons manual. Pick your repairs one at a time and make sure that they are fixed in an order that you dont need to re-do one of them. (ie. change the cat. but not the plenum and ruin the new cat).

You can keep that truck running for many years with good care.

·
Registered
47 Posts
you might wanna see if the o2 sensor is still functional having all that goo on it.. you could go to the wreckers and get a decnt used cat..... i would be tempted to do a vac test to see if its in the norm and a comp test,, this will tell you a surprising amount

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.