DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1998 dakota, 3.9L, V-6, 78000 miles. i change the plugs around every 25K miles. every plug looked like normal wear until i got to the #5 cylinder/plug. when i pulled it was soaked in fresh oil. not kinda wet, but dripping like i had dipped it in oil.

my truck isnt blowing out black smoke on the exhaust end and rides like a dream, smooth and purrs nice.

i am afraid it is the cylinder rings that have gone bad, but i have read it could be a valve seal?

am i totally S.O.L.?
has anyone else had this problem?
any remedies?

thank you
las vegas.

·
Badass Registered User
205 Posts
You know i have the same things with my intrepid with the 3.5 liter V6 (really good engine, 30 mpg and lots of get up and go) if that is relivant... but still just one of the plugs is covered in oil! I have a feeling that it is the rings.... maybe one of the oil rings didn't seet well allowing the oil to flow onto the plug during the strokes. But still my motor is running strong, and has 170 thousand on it! bought it with 100 thousand miles on it and thats when we first noticed it. just change that plug every 10 thousand miles i say watch ur oil level, look for smoke out of the exhaust, but i woudlnt worry to much, thats a good engine and will outlast the life of ur truck still :rck:

·
Registered
590 Posts
check to see if you have the dreaded and infamous *bad Belly Pan Gasket* to do this, look down the TB (engine OFF of course) if you see a sheen or pooled oil, that is a sign.

also do a cylinder leak test on that plug, that will tell you id its rings or a valve seal.

keep an eye on your oil consumption.

·
Badass Registered User
205 Posts
Your saying to look down the throttle body and look for oil? my best guess if you really wanna find out what is wrong is to do a compression test then cylinder leakdown test. As long as ur engine sounds fine its fine :rck:

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
nope, oil on the plug is BAD.

It indicates either worn piston rings or bad valve seal. Either one is a big repair.

·
The Cherry Express
3,846 Posts
I can't imagine a plug being as wet as you descibe, and NO sign of smoke, especially on a cold start???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.