DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed my oil for the 1st time using 12 quarts of Shell Rotella T 5W-40 SYNTHETIC and MOPAR Filter on my 2006 Ram at 1,900 miles. At idle, I smell something that I think is oil. No leaks, no visible oil anywhere, no Check Engine Light. Does SYNTHETIC Oil have a smell or is there another problem? Thanks.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
You will find that many of us refer to it as Rosmella because of the smell. That's normal for that brand and it will wear away in around 500 miles. As your engine breaks in you will smell it less and less......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oil Smell - 2006 Ram Diesel

Hi "Got Diesel?",
Thank you for your reply. Takes a load off my mind.
1) Except for the smell the first 500 miles, is Shell Rotella T SYNTHYETIC 5w-40 "CI-4 Plus" a good Diesel oil? 2) Do you recommend Synthetic or regular diesel oil? I live in New Jersey and was thinking of Synthetic in the winter 6-months and regular in the summer 6-months. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Cummins doesn't recommend sythethic till I believe 20,000 miles. Its right on their website.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The owners manual says that below a certian temp. you should use synthetic. What is the lesser of 2 evils? 1. Running synthetic w/ less that 20K or 2. Running conventional oil in the arctic???????

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I had Rotella and the smell never went away, changed with another oil and it is still there but not as bad, I'm hoping after a few more changes it will be gone. Delo 400 is what I use.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Nice Dually!! ;)

I just checked in the garage and the Rotella synthetic oil is indeed 5W40. I ran it in my 03 once I reached 20,000 miles. I am waiting til I hit that mark again before I put in in this truck as per Cummins recommendation. I noticed that the synthetic smells more than the conventional oil too.
The Rotella synthetic is only partially synthetic and thats' why it costs less than the others like Mobil1. Regardless, I treat it like full synthetic when I put it in my truck. I change the oil every 8000 miles with a filter+1 qt oil change at 4000 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.