DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 2001 intrepid r/t with 3.5 sho engine that had bad engine bearings due to being run low on oil, and bad rod knock I took the pan off and hand polished the crank journals to close to spec and replaced all the main as well as rod bearings.

All seems good the rod knock is gone now.
One thing tho, when the engine is started from cold for a second there is some rod noise till the oil hits the bearings.

I put in a quart of lucas oil treatment and it has maybe 125 miles since the lucas went in and I think the dry start noise may be louder now.

any suggestions what oil I should try /use I have had it suggested to me that a synthetic shell rotella 5w40 or Mobil1 synthetic 0w30 would be good, or am I worried about nothing, and that temprary bearing noise at cold start is not really doing much damage

Thanks

Bill

·
Platinum 2K R/T
4,054 Posts
There shouldn't be much oil starvation at start up on parts that aren't on the top end. Best thing to do is pick up (or have it done at a local shop) to use a long bendable microphone to better pinpoint the location of the noise.

Running synthetics is the way to go. I wouldn't go with a heavier weight oil and stick with a 5W30 or 0W30 as it will flow to critical areas faster in cold starts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.