DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 dodge ram hemi 96,000 miles i was useing 10w30 its HOT down south texas .. i switched to 5w 30 full synthetic and now at start up i can hear a little clatter underneath the truck .. what do you think should i go back to 10w 30?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does the engine quiet down after it has warmed up?

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Change to 20w50 full syn if it is that hot there. Or better yet, deisel oil 15w40 or 5w40 full syn. The deisel oil has more anti-wear additives and more cleaning agents added from what I have gathered. I read an article in Motor Trend where they asked like 5 oil company test people, if they could only use one oil, what would it be- they all said deisel oil. I have also used Lucas Lube with great results. In a 88 ford ranger w/300,000+ miles on it. Engine was starting to clatter and trans(5-speed stick) was getting real notchy. Used gear oil in the trans and the reg stuff in eng-both problems disappeared. Also have it in our 6-speed manual in our new PW. The truck would not shift good until 10-15 miles down the road-like the atf+4 was so thin it dripped completely off the metal overnight, making it VERY difficult to shift. Drained out 6.5 qts and refilled w/3.5qts of atf+4 & 3 qts of Lucas Lube 140 gear oil, now it shifts great-even in the winter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you were happy with the 10W30 I would switch back to it. Or like Twin Stick said maybe go a little heavier with a 10W40 or 15W40 and see how your engine likes it.
I personally use 10W30 in mine. With the 5W30 my engine also seems very noisy and will use about 1 quart every 1,000 miles which seems to much to me. But with the 10W30 the engine is much quieter and will only use 1 quart of oil for 2500-3000 miles which is fine to me.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
Rays1500-I know that 1qt every 3000 miles is CONSIDERED normal by dealer, but I have never had a vehicle use that much. Our 88 ranger w/300,000 miles on it did not use any oil between oil changes. That seems like a lot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
TwinStick, I hear you. I wish it didn't use any at all also. I got a case of Mobil 1 for Christmas, So I am going to use it on my next oil chage and see if there is any improvement with the synthetic oil. Always used Valvoline before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rays1500, is it time to change your PCV valve ?

If it gets stuck open, it will burn more oil ...

I use Amsoil 5W30 and might do worst case 4 quarts every 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
At 100,000 miles, I went with 10w-30 Mobil-1 more because 5w-30 wasn't available in gallon jugs than any other reason. It still uses it's usual 1/2 qt between 5k mile OCI's. But, I also noticed it idles a little quieter with 10w-30. I never warmed up to the idea of 5w-20 that it calls for even though OUA's show it wears as well if not better than 10w-30. Keep in mind heavier oil runs hotter due to it's resistance to flow. Part of the oil's job is to carry heat away from bearings. You want a good film but you also want good flow. Gotta be a happy median.
Also, make sure you use a good filter with a good check valve. I bought a Mopar filter this time and it has a very heavy duty looking check valve in it. I usually use Purolator filters. Cheap filters if they do have a check valve, don't hold oil up in the lifters very well and start ups in the morning can be pretty noisy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rays1500, is it time to change your PCV valve ?

If it gets stuck open, it will burn more oil ...

I use Amsoil 5W30 and might do worst case 4 quarts every 15,000 miles.
It's funny you mentioned the PCV I just picked one up the other day at NAPA along with an oil filter and few other things. First chance I get weather wise I'm going to work on my truck. Here in CT we suppposed to get 6 inches of snow later today.:mad:

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
If the PCV is not the problem, you may use/burn more oil, as it is slipperyer (is that a word?) then regular oil.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Rays1500, be sure you got the right PCV valve. My local NAPA stores hadn't a clue 'bout the Hemi's PCV. Tried to sell me one for the 4.7. If the PCV wasn't $25 or so, it's the wrong one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rays1500, be sure you got the right PCV valve. My local NAPA stores hadn't a clue 'bout the Hemi's PCV. Tried to sell me one for the 4.7. If the PCV wasn't $25 or so, it's the wrong one.

I got NAPA part # CRB 29515 cost was $26.49 . It fit just fine. Just put it in this morning. Maybe your NAPA store doesn't have the latest info?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.