Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 5 speed 4.7L reg cab slt sport 57k miles

In the past week on two occasions when starting the truck it only gets to about 300-400 rpm runs rough and there is no oil pressure. The first time the truck stalled within a few seconds and the second time I turned it off myself after the check gauges light came on. Seems to be ok if I restart it however. Also not sure if it has a connection to this but also since I bought the truck sometimes while coming to a stop the rpm's will drop low and fluctuate up and down for a few seconds... Hoping this is something minor .. any ideas or insight on what this could be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you do that and is there a list of what the codes are somewhere?... also will it show a code if only the check gauges light was on and not the check engine?

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
With the Macarena playing in the background … The Dodge code "Key Dance".

Turn the key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON within about 5 seconds. Your odometer will then display any codes one at a time. The displayed codes will start with a letter with three digit numbers. Something like P0123 or B1234 and you'll know it's done 'cause it will say "done".

Have a pen and pad readily and write the codes down. There’s a DT Thread that has all of the Dodge codes and you can check it out for yourself. But be sure and keep us in the loop so we would things are going.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
I believe I would check the connection on the oil sending unit. If that’s OK, I’d replace the sending unit and recheck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've read of horror stories dealing with engine sludge.. esp. on the 03's.... could this be a possibility?? I bought the truck at 50k and the previous owner must not have done much in the way of maintenance because the air filter spark plugs ect looked as though they had never been changed leading me to believe the oil wasnt changed often either.. should I be worried?

·
If only I had more $$$
3,696 Posts
You could try an engine oil flush,.. try some seafoam,.. etc. Clean the throttle body, EGR valve..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.