DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it has gotten cold this year, when my truck sits over night or a period of time of a couple hours or more my oil pressure guage won't move when I start it. But the weird thing is when I shut it off right away and start it again it's fine. I thought the oil pressure sending unit was bad but if that was the case it would do it when it's warm out as well. It did it to me once or twice last winter as well, but not in the summer, only when it's cold out. The sending doesn't have time to warm to start working, cause like I said i'll shut it down and start again immediately and all is well. Any ideas?

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
is this the stock indash idiot light guage? if so i owuld not worry about that stupid thing. if you have over 7PSI it will read in the middle. that guage is junk. buy an aftermarket one. and forget that you even have that guage in the dash.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You may want to consider putting in a mechanical sending unit and an aftermarket gauge. I was anoyed and concerned with the "non-fluctuating" oil pressure gauge so that is what I did. 03ramit1 is correct, the stock gauge is almost worthless.

The following is directly from my service manual...

Engine Oil Pressure Message - The instrument cluster circuitry restricts the oil pressure gauge needle operation in order to provide readings that are consistent with customer expectations. Each time the cluster receives a message from the PCM or ECM indicating the engine oil pressure is above about 41 kPa (6 psi) the cluster holds the gauge needle at a point near the middle increment within the normal range on the gauge scale.

Engine Oil Pressure Low Message - Each time the cluster receives a message from the PCM or ECM indicating the engine oil pressure is below about 41 kPa (6 psi), the gauge needle is moved to the graduation at the far left end of the gauge scale, the check gauges indicator is illuminated, and a single chime tone is generated. The gauge needle remains at the left end of the gauge scale and the check gauges indicator remains illuminated until the cluster receives a message from the PCM or ECM indicating that the engine oil pressure is above about 41 kPa (6 psi), or until the ignition switch is turned
to the Off position, whichever occurs first. The cluster will only turn the check gauges indicator on in response to an engine oil pressure low message if the engine speed message is greater than zero.

My Autometer mechanical full sweep gauge shows 55 psi at startup and while warming up, never any less than 35 at idle and 75 psi at 5,600 rpms. That is good oil pressure since you really only need about 10 psi per 1,000 rpms.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got an aftermarket sitting in my toolbox. Will put it in when it warms up a touch. Thanks for the info.

·
ASE approved
8,859 Posts
not an idiot light. Stock needle gauge.
like i said the stock idiot light guage.(bassically its a fancy ididot light, it will not move unless you drop below 6PSI so why not just have a stupid light come on to tell you low oil pressure) all the instruments in the dash are set up to tell you what the PCM thinks you wanna know. not nessicessarly what is going on. trust me man, i will not give you false info. i have been arround here for a few days now. i have learned alot, tought alot and been proven wrong as well. i wouldlook into a set of aftermarket guages like the ones pictured just so that you will actually know what the reading are suposed to be.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I'd varify with a reliable gauge

·
Great View
1,048 Posts
Thats a bad pressure sender. I had it happen once when my truck was new. You start it up and its its zero and then restart and it fine. Thats the MO of a sticky sender. change the sender and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
like i said the stock idiot light guage.(bassically its a fancy ididot light, it will not move unless you drop below 6PSI so why not just have a stupid light come on to tell you low oil pressure) all the instruments in the dash are set up to tell you what the PCM thinks you wanna know. not nessicessarly what is going on. trust me man, i will not give you false info. i have been arround here for a few days now. i have learned alot, tought alot and been proven wrong as well. i wouldlook into a set of aftermarket guages like the ones pictured just so that you will actually know what the reading are suposed to be.
That is the same setup that I have. I put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the A pillar then electrical oil temp, trans temp and differential temp in the dash pod. I like it...everything I need to know at a glance.

·
what's your left leg doin
2,288 Posts
FYI-
Sometime between 06' and 08' they went back to a real oil pressure guage.
I test-drove an 08' and was surprised to see the oil pressure guage move as the rpm's went up/down.
Would be nice if we could retrofit (the sending units) to work on older guage clusters.
Anyone know if that's even possible?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.