DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· I R SMRAT.
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again all!

Once I get the problems sorted out on this truck, I can start posting answers instead of questions!

Anyway, my problem is my oil pressure gauge. it pretty much reads randomly. Sometimes it reads the maximum possible pressure (gauge needle all the way to the right as far as it will go) and sometimes '0' pressure! Other times it's in the middle somewhere but just kinda jumps around. Mostly stays maxed out.

I just changed the oil in the truck and I have no leaks. I know it ain't that. Any ideas? Has my gauge gone wacky?

Thanks in advance!!!

· Registered
23 Posts
sounds like your sending unit may be going to ground or chaffed wires. unplug the wire while gauge in pegged and see if it falls to 0 if so its the sender if not its in the loop some where

· I R SMRAT.
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I'm going to check those things, but someone posting about a V6 Magnum got me paranoid. I'm going to drop the oil pan and check the oil pump first. A guy in a thread titled "V6 oil pressure" (or something like that) in this section reported that his gauge was doing something similar and he found that his oil pump had clogged with trash and sludge to the point that it wasn't pumping and it seized his motor. I know the 5.9L is a v8 and different, but they aren't all that different. If the oil pump is fine, I am going to check exactly what you said here.

Thank you again!!!

· Registered
503 Posts
audiomechanic said:
Thanks for the reply! I'm going to check those things, but someone posting about a V6 Magnum got me paranoid. I'm going to drop the oil pan and check the oil pump first. A guy in a thread titled "V6 oil pressure" (or something like that) in this section reported that his gauge was doing something similar and he found that his oil pump had clogged with trash and sludge to the point that it wasn't pumping and it seized his motor. I know the 5.9L is a v8 and different, but they aren't all that different. If the oil pump is fine, I am going to check exactly what you said here.

Thank you again!!!
Don't waste your time dropping the pan until you change the sender. If your pickup was clogging or your pump was bad your pressure would not be maxing out. Start with the easiest thing first.

· I R SMRAT.
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm...I will take your advice. Thank you! I guess I just started to freak out reading about engine seizure. The previous owner of this truck was a 17 year old kid so I know he didn't take the best care of it.

I'm running Royal Purple oil in it and as far as I know (I didn't pay the best attention before I change the oil), this didn't start until after the oil change. I could have been gong on before though. I didn't really pay attention.

Where is the sending unit located?

Thank you again!

· Registered
503 Posts
audiomechanic said:
Hmm...I will take your advice. Thank you! I guess I just started to freak out reading about engine seizure. The previous owner of this truck was a 17 year old kid so I know he didn't take the best care of it.

I'm running Royal Purple oil in it and as far as I know (I didn't pay the best attention before I change the oil), this didn't start until after the oil change. I could have been gong on before though. I didn't really pay attention.

Where is the sending unit located?

Thank you again!
Rear passenger side of the engine. Right by the EGR valve. It's fairly hard to get at, but it's still a 20min job at most.

· I R SMRAT.
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gonna give it a shot today. Thanks! I'll post an update here as to what I find.

· I R SMRAT.
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so far, the oil pressure gauge does not move when the engine is not running. When I started the truck, the gauge still sat at 0 for a few seconds, then immediately maxed out all the way to the right. Going to try and disconnect the sending unit now...

· I R SMRAT.
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, disconnected it. Turned the key to 'ON' and waited a few seconds. Then started the engine. This time, the gauge did not budge at all and the 'Check Gauges' light was on. Does this mean I need a new sender?

· I R SMRAT.
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your help, gentlemen! I will replace the sender. Y'all have calmed my fears!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.