Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Quick question. 03 4.7 with 60k on it. I noticed some oil leaking from the front of the engine somewhere. I see a small amount of oil by the oil filter and around the oil pan gasket. I also see oil in front of the oil pan on the front end. could this be the oil pan gasket leaking. last time i changed the oil i noticed some oil mess under the truck and a couple of the bolts on the oil pan were loose. I tightened them up (did not make them very tight at all, i know not to overtighten these) but this did not fix the problem. Any ideas where this oil could be coming from. could the oil pan gasket be bad. there are no leaks or mess from the top of the engine.

Thanks,

·
All Around Great Guy
12,674 Posts
Yeah, more than likely a front crank seal gone bad... easy fix though

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
You could have a pan gasket that is torn or something since you had some loose bolts. Did you bottom out on something or pull too close to a curb at all?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no never bottomed out or anything. How involved is it to change the crank seal?? weekend job?? I already ordered the oil pan gasket, i guess i will look at it this weekend and then probably change both at the same time.

thanks guys

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
My advice,clean the area really good with NON foamy GUNK engine brite,then use carb cleaner to finish removing any and all oil residue,then drive it a few days until you find where the leak is actually coming from,this will save you time and money if it ends up being a front crank seal or something even more minor.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thnx slammed 1
i have one more question, i looked through the mopar catalog quick and did not see a part number for a front crank seal on the 4.7l. i saw them for the 5.7 and the 3.7. this might be a stupid question but would that even be a part for that engine.
I will definetely do what you said and clean everything up to figure out where it is coming from.

Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.