DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm hoping for some direction here. Vehicle is a 1999 Chrysler T&C with the 3.8l.

The van has been running fine. I just did an oil change on it about a week ago. Then today, my wife called an said the oil light is coming on (along with the chime). She brought it home and I took it for a test drive. The light and chime come on when braking or when on a decline. I checked the oil and it is up to the max level. There is no lifter or valvetrain noise at any speed. Also, I noticed that the sensor towards the front of the van meaning that if it truly were low, it should be coming on when accelerating rather than braking. Could this be the sensor going out? I plan to buy a guage to check the actual pressure. Any similar experiences or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

One other piece of possibly relevant info. The oil I put in was 0W-30 Amsoil synthetic. Maybe the oil is to thin?

·
Registered MOPAR User
9,350 Posts
Is the sending wire securely fastend?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the wire is tightly connected and in good shape. I searched the forum and found similar symptoms for a sending unit, so I bought one and will be trying that shortly. I'll reply back to let everyone know if that fixes it or not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It appears that the oil sending unit was faulty. After replacing it, the light stays off after the self-check.

One note. . . It is a little tight to get to without removing the oil filter, but I was able to put it in with needle-nosed vise grips. Thanks for this great forum!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.