DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2000 miles on my 05 with the hemi. It's time to change the oil and I think I want to go with synthetic. Any suggestions on brand? Kinda leaning to Mobile One. Should I change it now or wait a little bit? How about changes after that? Every 3k, 5k, 10k? Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use royalpurple fully synthetic it seems to work great and they back up their product I have herd that you want to give it around 6000 to 10000 miles before you use synthetic to let the motor break in a bit but thats just hear say I dont know if its true

·
Registered
168 Posts
I swapped to Mobil 1 after 1200 miles without a problem. The only thing that gets me thinking is that the 05's run a different grade than the 04's. Don't know if I should switch to a different grade.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does the 04 run? I'm pretty sure that mine calls for 5-30. It's the same motor. It shouldn't call for anything different. That makes me wonder if they just decided to change it in 05 for some reason. I like the truck and the power but in no way should Dodge call it a hemi. Yeah, it's the hemisperical engine and I know I'll get blowback for that but nobody here can honestly tell me it's the same hemi as the one from the glory days. Dodge should have made it a tried and true hemi. I wouldn't mind having 4 or 5 hundred ponies under the hood. God knows I don't need them though.

·
Registered
276 Posts
K9Blitz said:
I swapped to Mobil 1 after 1200 miles without a problem. The only thing that gets me thinking is that the 05's run a different grade than the 04's. Don't know if I should switch to a different grade.
In 05 they changed to 5w20 weight oil. They now recommend that for all the hemi, reduces the "hemi tick". Just remember that syn oils run thinner than conv oils, so a syn 5w30 should work just fine, that is what I'm switching to after my last free oil change.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Royal Purple 5W-30 in my HEMI for the last 10K. Switched to it at 2500K. GREAT STUFF!!!!!!!!!! I run 5K oil change intervals( did it at 2500 and then 5000 to get on schedule and to be sure all the old dino junk was out )and use a K&N Premium Gold filter.

Truck runs smoother, quieter, and cooler. I also found it really helped this past winter at cold start up.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
Amsoil friend! That stuff is the best.

Good luck.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Mobil 1 fully synthetic. I'd be hesitant to go with amsoil because you can not buy the stuff at the local auto parts stores and from what i gather it's pretty damn expensive.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
When you change it depends upon your driving conditions. Go by what DC says and not what the oil manufacture says. DC is the one who has the warranty on your vehicle.

As far as oil, I use Mobile 1 5w-30 and believe even that is overkill. Lab tests may show another oil to lubricate better, but better lubrication is not needed so the extra money spent is wasted IMO. Regularly changed dyno oil will lubricate your engine sufficiently to make it outlast the rest of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
RoadKill05 said:
In 05 they changed to 5w20 weight oil. They now recommend that for all the hemi, reduces the "hemi tick". Just remember that syn oils run thinner than conv oils, so a syn 5w30 should work just fine, that is what I'm switching to after my last free oil change.
The Hemi tick is not the reason the 05's went
to the 5W-20 oil. It's Federal EPA regulations
regarding fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Royal Purple is every bit as good as if not better than Amsoil.

Royal Purple is sold nationally at PepBoys. You can also get it at many Napa's.

Costs $5.99 here at PB for a qt but it can be bought for less in other areas of the country or if you buy it by the case.

www.royalpurple.com

·
Registered
122 Posts
I went to mobil1 at 1kmi, and have changed every 3k since. I really like what I hear/read about amsoil (and royal purple) but am wondering about warranty - what is DC's position if you go to a 7k mi oil, even with receipts? Anyone have any claim experience?

Another question - it was mentioned DC went to 5w-20 for epa regs, does it help emissions or mpg? 20 weight seems kinda light to me for summer weather.

·
rjm022
192 Posts
i buy my amsoil online (obviously) i get it for 60.00 bucks a case, shipped to my door. that is cheaper than buying mobil 1, when including the tax and the hassle of driving to walmart and standing in line.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
YIGAH said:
I went to mobil1 at 1kmi, and have changed every 3k since. I really like what I hear/read about amsoil (and royal purple) but am wondering about warranty - what is DC's position if you go to a 7k mi oil, even with receipts? Anyone have any claim experience?

Another question - it was mentioned DC went to 5w-20 for epa regs, does it help emissions or mpg? 20 weight seems kinda light to me for summer weather.
As to your warranty in relation to the length of oil cange. What you need to do is discuss it with the service manager at the dealership that will handle any warranty claims you might have. I talked it over with my dealer's service manager before I decided to go the RP synthetic route( wasn't spending that kind of $$$ if I still had to change at 3K to preserve warranty )and he said synthetic changed at 5K is fine with him and he will not hassle me warranty wise.

Using synthetic oil will not be a problem either as long as you can show it is API certified. There are some popular brands of synthetic that are not API certified so you need to look for the little certification seal on the bottle. RP is API certified and meets warranty requirements. I believe Mobil 1 is as well.

I believe the 5W-20 helps both emissions and MPG but I would say MPG was the biggest reason. Supposedly it eliminates the HEMI tick as well? Just seems like running water to me it is so thin.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
NHHEMI said:
and he said synthetic changed at 5K is fine with him and he will not hassle me warranty wise.
You could use any oil and change at 5K without a warranty hassle. That's 1000 miles under DC's "Schedule A" recommended oil change interval.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
DonRam said:
You could use any oil and change at 5K without a warranty hassle. That's 1000 miles under DC's "Schedule A" recommended oil change interval.
I know. You are "techincally" right and I usually say the same thing myself( ie; 6K is fine )to people. However, the dealership knows I tow a boat a lot, from April to February, and thus I need to follow schedule B. The service manager knows that synthetic will last longer than dino oil so he is allowing the longer interval with it even though I really belong on schedule B.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Mobil 1 Synthetic

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.