DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to start a bashing war but I was wondering what oil filter everyone uses, I see some Fram, K&N , bosch, and mobil.

I've used Wix, purealator,fram,napa just what ever I get when I'm at the store, I use Mobil1 synth and I change oil every 6K but change the filter at 3K.

So are some of the filters made by the same company and rebaged or I would assume KN, Wix and Fram make their own, but wasn't sure if anyone knew. I'm leaning to a Mobil1 and WIX combo for thats what I've been using for the past year.

plus what is the stock size oil filter and should I use a larger one, if so what are some?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just changed my oil for the first time on my truck and used Mobil1 oil and filter with Lucas oil stabilizer.

On another note, is it difficult to change the filter w/o draining the oil first? I have never tried this before, but I would like too considering I don't want to change my Mobile 1 oil after only 3k miles but I realize that the filter may need to be changed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
robert_ayala all I do is grab the pan take off the filter, clean it up fill new filter with clean oil and tighten. Then I let it run and then check level, top it off and done.

SilsHemi it looks like WIX and AMSOIL are making the same filter?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I made a list of somewhat maybe it will help, one other question all of the filters with the same numbers but different people(NAPA and WIX), so basically these are the same filters. Doing a side by side comparison of a $20 filter under a different name for less (EX NAPA and WIX) Napa is about a buck cheaper and I llike WIX.

Thanks for the larger size AMSOIL I'm going to check and see if I can use it.

L14670 JIFFY LUBE
GL14670 MICRO-GARD
SL14670 POWER FLO
L14670 PUROLATOR
PL14670 PUROLATOR
51085 WIX
51085MP WIX
51068 WIX
EAO42 AMSOIL
EA015 AMSOIL
TG16 FRAM
HG16 FRAM
PH16 FRAM
3321 BOSCH
M1-204 Mobil
HP-2004 K&N
FIL1085MP NAPA
FIL1085 NAPA
NFI91085 NAPA
SFI21085 ProSelect
SFI21085MP ProSelect

·
Registered
115 Posts
i use Baldwin filter

·
Registered
9,810 Posts
I use the FRAM HP-1 which is the LARGEST filter out of them all. It has the largest flow holes for less restriction. I have yet to see an equivlent... Thats in not only the shear size but also the size of the flow holes.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
79 Posts
allhemi said:
I think alot of people like that oil....But I would like to see some tests on all the other oils.

Here's a forum on oil - good resourse:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?category=4

And here is a very nice resourse site that describes quality of filters (it will tell you which filters are good and which (FRAM) are junk) - but, being an engineer myself, I also wonder how scientific this guy is and what is it that makes him an expert? In any case, it has a lot of good comparison.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Unfortunately they don't have anything on AMSOIL filters, and specifically their new nano-fiber filters. I was trying to find a research report I read a few years back on AMSOIL, but can't seem to locate it. It was done by an independent and compared their product with other synthetics.

~F Johnny

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
AIR_RAM said:
I use the FRAM HP-1 which is the LARGEST filter out of them all. It has the largest flow holes for less restriction. I have yet to see an equivlent... Thats in not only the shear size but also the size of the flow holes.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
HP1 that's what I use :cool:

·
Banned
10,983 Posts
MR YOON said:
HP1 that's what I use :cool:
The HP1 is a good high flow filter, but it's filtration rate isn't good.

I did see where Ken posted that the new Amsoil EaO filter has a
7-9 GPM flow rate and excellent filtration ability. That's a pretty
good flow rate and you get the protection as well. :)

Sil

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Here's a comparison between Mobil-1 full synthetic API certified by the API, not simply rated by the oil manufacturer with a look alike symol stamped on the bottle, and approved by Chrysler, not simply approved by the oil manufacturer to be used in a Chrysler engine without Chrysler's approval and Amsoil. It makes a difference if warranty work is needed for an oil related failure. Rare but possible.
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html
I use Mobil-1 5w-20 and Mopar or Purolator filters every 5k miles.

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
SilsHemi said:
The HP1 is a good high flow filter, but it's filtration rate isn't good.

I did see where Ken posted that the new Amsoil EaO filter has a
7-9 GPM flow rate and excellent filtration ability. That's a pretty
good flow rate and you get the protection as well. :)

Sil
I don't care. My Hemi is tough! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.