DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've vaguely heard of paper towel or toilet paper oil filters before. Seems like the military was using them even. But I just recently read a claim from a guy running a dodge cummins(i think it was) that he uses a frantz filter in addition to stock(as they are designed to do) and has clean looking oil. Is that possible? And even if not, what do you think about the system? Will it pull more trash out of the oil? Is it worthwhile?

http://www.wefilterit.com/

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm liking the frantz/motor guard type filters. Replacement "elements" are $0.50, basic kits start at about $150, and you get the same benefits, from what I can tell, as the more expensive amsoil type systems.
I ran across a government test on the amsoil type, using city buses and gas SUVs. The break even on cost of purchase vs oil change savings is about 70,000 miles. That does not include benefits from any reduced wear that might occur.
As I come fron a long line of "run 'em 'til they drop, rebuild 'em, and run 'em again" car owners. We have four cars at or over 200,000 miles, and only one a diesel. I also have a +60 mile daily commute. I think I would benefit from such a system. Any thoughts?

·
Official DT Amsoil Dealer
697 Posts
derherr65 said:
I'm liking the frantz/motor guard type filters. Replacement "elements" are $0.50, basic kits start at about $150, and you get the same benefits, from what I can tell, as the more expensive amsoil type systems.
I ran across a government test on the amsoil type, using city buses and gas SUVs. The break even on cost of purchase vs oil change savings is about 70,000 miles. That does not include benefits from any reduced wear that might occur.
As I come fron a long line of "run 'em 'til they drop, rebuild 'em, and run 'em again" car owners. We have four cars at or over 200,000 miles, and only one a diesel. I also have a +60 mile daily commute. I think I would benefit from such a system. Any thoughts?
You must remember that the "basic" kit for $150 does not include any fittings or hoses that will be necessary. You can get a AMSOIL BMK-11 bypass with filter, hoses, all fittings, and even the billet aluminum oil fill cap that would be used for a oil return on the cummins for under $250 shipped to most locations.

https://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/bf.aspx?zo=1132530

The TP filters do work and you are correct, the elements are cheap. The drawback on them for me is the mess when changing the TP.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point. The amsoil would probably make more sence on a Cummins.
I may try the frantz on my Mercedes though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.