DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know what size the Allen hex head is for the oil drain plug for 2006 2500 CTD?

On a separate question was also looking for the tire lug nut torque value for same truck.

Thx BDX.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The oil drain plug is not an allen it's just a 1/2 inch square. I just use and extension for my 1/2 in ratchet. I don't know about the lug nuts, I use the strong arm torque wrench.

·
Registered
32 Posts
BDX,

It is 3/8ths; Grab your 3/8ths drive and a short extension, plug the extension into the drain plug and you should be set. I can't help with your other question except to say stand on those wheel lugs pretty hard.

Brent

·
Registered
224 Posts
Maybe it is 3/8, I'd go look but it's -35 and my truck is parked outside and I don't wanna.....I'm sure someone else will be able to varify.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
It's one or the other but I believe it's 3/8". ;)

You want those lugnuts tight but you don't want to stand on it to tighten it. You will have problems getting them off. Your owners manual should give you the torque value for them...

BTW, there is also a torque value for the drainplug that should not be exceeded because the plug will crack and leak. I already have a Fumoto drain valve so I don't have to worry about it again. I had an EZ Drain plug on the 03. Both valves are available from GenosGarage.com. I also buy all my filters from them. They have great prices. They also have lots of other cool stuff for our trucks......

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
hey do you feel that in offroad situations the drain plug valve may get ripped off?

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Well, the EZ drain plug I had on the 03 would be very hard to rip off, even if you buried the truck in dirt and mud. The Fumoto valve sticks out a lot further and I would definitely say it would be easier to damage BUT it would really take a lot to get to the point where you would damage either one.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
okay....inquiring minds were curious

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The EZ drain looks just like a Fram product I installed on my cars (several years ago now). I am going to get that type for the Ram. I don't like the fact that Geno's charges separately for the valve (that screws into the oil pan) and the actuator that you screw on to activate and drain the oil. Any other alternative suppliers?

BDX.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The drain plug is a 3/8" Dr. I too thought it was a torque, looking at it from the side and not straight on.

Some other things I'd like to share:

When doing my oil change, I remove the passenger front wheel well liner to access the oil filter. Never like having a armpit full of oil, I have a straight access through the wheel well, and over the frame rail. About seven 8mm bolts to remove, and then disco the one line that's clipped to the liner's inner edge.

Also... during all three oil changes so far, the filter o-ring likes to stay up on the housing once the filter is dropped down. Make sure that you check for this before reinstalling the new filter. This goes for any vehicle. If you have two o-ring seals, it will leak for sure.

Always coat the new filter's o ring with oil, to keep it from seizing on.

Remember... diesels take a little longer for the oil to drain back out of the block and into the pan. So allow it to sit momentarily before checking the level and assuming it's good to go.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Good and interesting info on this thread. But I have to ask... from all y'all's signatures, you have trucks from 2006 or newer. Why mess with the oil changes ? Wont that affect your warranty if, God forbids, something happens to your engine ?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Why would it affect the warranty?

·
Registered
104 Posts
BDX said:
Any one know what size the Allen hex head is for the oil drain plug for 2006 2500 CTD?

On a separate question was also looking for the tire lug nut torque value for same truck.

Thx BDX.
how does 140ft lbs sound on that lug nut torque? Well, its right out of the 2006 manual page 22-7

I wouldn't have to much of a problem with 125ft lbs so long as you check them all the time and don't put any oil on the studs or lugs.

·
Registered
343 Posts
deanf said:
Why would it affect the warranty?
I'm uncertain about Dodge but other dealers are pretty a***l about someone else working on the vehicles under warranty. BMW and other german manufacturers come to mind. Eventhough BMW has the 4/50 all inclusive maintenance, if you are stuck in a part of the country without any accredited (by BMW) shop around for miles, you are pretty much screwed if they find out someone else worked on the car. :crazy:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.