DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased 05 Dakota, 4.7. Manual says 6.0 quarts with filter. Day after new checked oil level and showed more than 1/2 quart low. Guessed it was oversight at factory. Replaced oil at 1k with new filter and 6qts. Same thing, showing more than 1/2 quart low. Stealership says they always add about a 1/2 qt more (6+1/2) for the 4.7. Chry headquarters tells me capacity is 6 qt not 6 1/2. Anyone one with a like problem with 4.7. Checked TSB's and found nothing. Any help thanks.

· Registered
1,096 Posts
I'll bet it takes almost 1/2 qt to fill up the oil filter.

· Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,372 Posts
The capacity in the manual should be with filter filled. Sure you are using the proper filter? My 360 w/ filter takes 5 and its spot on when filled with 5.

· The Legendary Cross Ram
3,730 Posts
Dang JamesJ2525, you've already 5,051 posts! :banghead:

...and you registered nearly a month after me!!! :violen:

Wow, and I thought I posted a lot per day. :crazy:

Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna go and sit in my dark closet for awhile. :D

· Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,372 Posts
LOL, and to think that there was an entire month where I did not post at all...

· Banned
11,654 Posts
JamesJ2525 said:
LOL, and to think that there was an entire month where I did not post at all...
How ever did you manage? After the first week away you must have been shaking like a heroin addict in rehab :D

· Registered
291 Posts
If it were me.. I'd use the correct filter and add the number of quarts that it is supposed to have. After a run and cool down,, where it comes to on the dipstick is full. Notch it w/ a file if you like. I mean short of a dent in the oil pan or something like that; isn't the dipstick more likely to be wrong than for you to have an engine that mysteriously holds an extra 1/4 Qt. This all assumes you are parked on level ground. :D

Anyway I don't think that there's a absolutely perfect "full" level. If it makes you feel good fill it up to the full level. But give at least 5 or 10 minutes after shutting it off for most of the oil to drain down.

· The Legendary Cross Ram
3,730 Posts
canyonD said:
How ever did you manage? After the first week away you must have been shaking like a heroin addict in rehab :D
:D

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'm using dodge factory filters, purchased from the stealership. I've checked the oil when cold, hot and everywhere in between and always on level ground. I believe it has to be the dipstick. I am going to purchase a new dipstick (cheapest quick fix first) and see if that resloves the problem. If anyone has had a similar problem would like to hear about it. Thanks. Will post again after the new dipstick is in.

· WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,433 Posts
measure your dipstick, I'll check mine later.

· Banned
112 Posts
pegg38 said:
Purchased 05 Dakota, 4.7. Manual says 6.0 quarts with filter. Day after new checked oil level and showed more than 1/2 quart low. Guessed it was oversight at factory. Replaced oil at 1k with new filter and 6qts. Same thing, showing more than 1/2 quart low. Stealership says they always add about a 1/2 qt more (6+1/2) for the 4.7. Chry headquarters tells me capacity is 6 qt not 6 1/2. Anyone one with a like problem with 4.7. Checked TSB's and found nothing. Any help thanks.

pegg38,

My 4.7 in the Durango also take 6 quarts and is correct on my dipstick. Perhaps your not on even ground? My manuel says 6 quarts too so either your burning badly OR you need to show the dealership in person. I'll bet you just have the wrong stick. Maybe it's for a 5.7 or the 5.9 engine.

rimfire,22

· Banned
34 Posts
I'm getting my oil changed next Tuesday. I'll check it then and see where it's at.
I've got a 2005 Dakota 4.7L. Once it's finished I'll hang around for another 10 minutes before i leave and check it that way it's got time to drip down into the pan again.

I'm glad i read this.
Good Post.

Jim.

· WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,433 Posts
six pak said:
What are you two up to???? ;)
Hey sixpack, time for a 12pack!:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.