DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a silly question (at least I thought it was), but does anyone know if I can pick up an oil dip stick from a parts house or is this a dealer only item. I know parts houses carry some, but they're more than likely for civics or something.

Lately I noticed a fine oil residue on the upper radiator hose. I noticed that the dip stick was slightly ajar (not sealed perfectly) so I popped it back down. The next week, I popped the hood, and sure enough the sucker was popped up again. I guess it has a bad seal or something because I don't feel too much resistance when I push it down, almost like it barely "pops" closed (if you can visualize what I'm talking about).

I want to pick up a new one but I hate stealerships.

Also, has anyone else experienced a dip stick failure? :thatfunny

·
Registered
100 Posts
Isn't it just an o ring that seals it? I might be wrong about that, but if it is just an o ring you could go down to your local Ace and buy a replacement for under a buck$$$$

·
Registered
29 Posts
If the dipstick is popping up, there could also be an overpressure issue. You might want to check it out as well...often it is something as simple as a PCV replacement.

Jim

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DewyMan said:
Isn't it just an o ring that seals it? I might be wrong about that, but if it is just an o ring you could go down to your local Ace and buy a replacement for under a buck$$$$
Thanks, I'll check it out after work and see what the o-ring looks like on the stick.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mavinwy said:
If the dipstick is popping up, there could also be an overpressure issue. You might want to check it out as well...often it is something as simple as a PCV replacement.

Jim
I don't think it's overpressure, only because the dipstick doesn't have that firm seal anymore like it used to. In the fast after an oil change and checking the level, the stick would "pop" back on the neck and it would have a firm seal and would not move. Now, I can literally pull the stick back off the neck with little effort, which is why I think it lost it's "seal", whether it be an o-ring or the stick itself.
PCV valve was replaced like 2 months ago.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cool, just making sure.

If you do end up getting a new dipstick, just insure that it is the same length with the same level markings.

Jim

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mavinwy said:
Cool, just making sure.

If you do end up getting a new dipstick, just insure that it is the same length with the same level markings.

Jim
Yeah, that's why I was hoping I didn't have to deal with a stealership for the dip stick.

Anyone know if I can order it online or pick it up from a parts house?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.