DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 5.7 this is the first time I changed the oil. Got 10 W30 mobil one 5000 which is what i usually use in my vehicles. So now after reading around on here folks are saying that if 5 w20 or 0 w20 is not used that the Hemi tick may develop. since that is not the oil of choice should i drain and re-do?

also truck when i bought did not come with an oil fill cap. Where can i find a replacement.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
An oil filler cap can probably be acquired at a pick 'n' pull or one of the big-box parts stores. Make sure the cap specifies the correct oil, or doesn't have the marking at all, so no misunderstandings occur in the future.

You should be fine with that oil. They began using 5w-20 about then for the minuscule affect on mileage. You can download a manual from Dodge. It'll specify the correct weight to use.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
theres no such oil as mobil 1 5000. theres mobil 1 which is synthetic, and mobil clean 5000 which is conventional.....just to clear that up.

me personally, i use penzoil platinum 5w30 in my truck, but i have a 4.7.

oil caps can be had at the dealer or at a parts place. its probably gonna cost about the same.

·
Got 2 Hemis
5,042 Posts
Wondered about that... I don't use Mobil, so I'm not familiar with the various flavors. I use Pennzoil Hi-Mileage lizards in the Ram, and regular lizards in the C.

·
Previously Micash21
2,802 Posts
we have damn near identical trucks (color difference) I run 5w20 Castrol Syntec, and have no problems what so ever. No tick, no leaks, and run it for 5000 miles. Oil still looks great every time I change it. I do a lot of city driving (Jacksonville, FL) It's not cheap and it is a synthetic. But its rated for 7500 mile intervals.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
It came with NO OIL CAP ? WTF-over ??? I would reccomend the 5w20. FWIW- I used 0w20 in my truck just before the winter. The change oil light came on the other day & I am pretty sure I DID reset it last time. This is the first time it came on. Mobil 1 0w20, 3200 miles on oil when light came on, truck has 18,950 miles on it. :dunno:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well since no one is freaking out about the 10w30 ill leave it and change it later but someone that has a similar truck can you take a picture of what your oil cap everyone sells a different looking one which is pissing me off. Oriely's tried to sell me one that was small enough to drop the whole thing into the oil filler. Dumb ass salesman.

im guessing its supposed to look like this

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I've been using 5w-20 Castrol GTX since I bought the truck (45k ago), change the oil every 3500-4000 miles. I don't see any issue with using 10w30.

·
Work In Progress
1,321 Posts
I do believe that part number is an 8210. I may be wrong because I looked one up the other day. Can't remember if it was for a Hemi or 4.7.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've heard that using anything other than 5W20 can potentially cause the MDS to malfunction.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The MDS system requires 5w20, you dont have MDS so dont worry about it. If you live in a hot climate, 5w30 is fine it will thin in the summer nice, i like my oil a little lighter but only use full syn. Mobil 5000 is conventional, I have yet to hear a Hemi tick. My buddy swears he has it and thinks i do to, but i took him out in my 02 5.9 gas and he heard it there to sooooo. I have also not heard the the tick creates any issues with the proformance so I think the best fix for the hemi tick is an exhuast or nice audio system.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
well since no one is freaking out about the 10w30 ill leave it and change it later but someone that has a similar truck can you take a picture of what your oil cap everyone sells a different looking one which is pissing me off. Oriely's tried to sell me one that was small enough to drop the whole thing into the oil filler. Dumb ass salesman.

im guessing its supposed to look like this
thats what mine looks like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.