DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally take it to a quick lube and get valvoline 10w-30, but decided to start doing it myself, so I got 5qts. of valv. maxlife syn-blend 10w-30, 1qrt. Lucas oil stabilizer and a Fram tough guard filter. I know some are gonna start slamming the fram filter right off, but I've used them for years and alot of my friends do and never had any problems. What I'm curious about is the Lucas oil stabilizer. I was told by several friends that it is a fantastic product and I should use it, any one on here use it? What kinda results you get? I heard it can even help the mpg. Another dumb question, but the 5.2L 318 takes 5 qrts, not 6..right?

· Registered
1,625 Posts
it should only take 5 qrts.

· Registered
215 Posts
Only the additive makers recomend them. Good oils don't need any help....

· Registered
503 Posts
Maxlife is plenty thick without Lucas. It been proven through oil anaylsis on www.bobistheoilguy.com that the only thing Lucas does is thicken the oil. It's really got nothing of value to the engine in it. It may help if you engine is using tons of oil or has very low compression because it's so thick, But thats about it. I'd buy a 12 pack with the Lucas money, It will give your engine the same benefits as using Lucas, which is nothing.

· Registered
48 Posts
Dodge318 said:
I'd buy a 12 pack with the Lucas money, It will give your engine the same benefits as using Lucas, which is nothing.
After trying both the dino oil stabilizer and the synthetic, both, I'd have to agree with the above quote.

As far as the filter....if you've read the report floating around where the guy cut open about 20-some filters the brand name on the outside usually has little to do with the inside product, with a few exceptions.

· Platinum 2K R/T
4,042 Posts
I've used Fram filters in the past. The XG16 filter fit on both the Durango 5.9L and my old spirits, both 2.5L engines. Never had any problems and I ran regular oil with NO additives. I think lucas is meant for farm tractors and such than conventional vehicles. As it was mentioned earlier if you run a good oil you don't need any additives. If you want an additive for the truck in general, try seafoam.

· Registered
7 Posts
Lucas helps to keep your oil pressure steady. I've used it the past two years (thats about 8 changes) I like it. Also I've used nothing but Frame, but lately Wal-Mart has been carrying Mopar filters for a buck more so I go with it.

· Registered
503 Posts
9RamSport9 said:
Lucas helps to keep your oil pressure steady. I've used it the past two years (thats about 8 changes) I like it. Also I've used nothing but Frame, but lately Wal-Mart has been carrying Mopar filters for a buck more so I go with it.
If Lucas was the only thing keeping my oil pressure "steady", I'd sell the truck as fast as I possibly could.

· Registered
67 Posts
me personally, i'd go with amsoil. little expensive on the front end but, you don't have to worry about changing it every 3-4k miles either. i've read and hear nothing but good things from them.

buy a preferred customer subscription, $10 for 6 months $20 for 12 months, and buy it at the dealers price.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't find any amsoil locally. My go with Mobil 1 next, but can't imagine valv. maxlife to be all that bad. Don't know on the lucas, I've had more than 10 people who told me that they use it and really love it. I had some so I put it in to give it a try, if it does nothing, guess I won't get it again, but at least I can say I have used it. 2 has told me it helped there mpg by 1-2...who knows. It don't look like it's real popular on this board.

· Registered
2 Posts
ok so i work for penzoil and we have heard bad things about vav. i have used fram with all my cars and trucks including my familys 5 other dodges. (4 other truck and 1 van.) i can get at andersons here in ohio for about $28 (5q Jug) i would not use lucas, imo.

· Registered
215 Posts
Speaking of sea foam, this stuff is the best stuff I have ever used to clean up what is inside the guts of an internal combustion engine. I uesd it first in mt 2nd gen Ram. Really smoked A LOT! Now smoother, takes less pedal to cruze and better throttle response. Well then my mother in law's little puddle jumper pontiac 4 banger was having issues, engine light, wouldn't go 55mph. Didn't think she was going to make it home after turkey dinner thursday. Thought what the heck, foam it. Not much smoke, but the car now has no fault code, no miss, and runs as fast as an 80 year old wants to go. FREEKIN Amazing!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.