·
Dodge Tech
1,609 Posts
same just need low sulfer oil thats it

Semper Fi brother

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
Oil is about the same, fuel filter is a little harder.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Can anybody walk me through the process of changing the oil in a diesel? This is my first diesel and i'd just like to know all the steps and precautions and things that need to be done at the oil change/filter change. Thanks for the help and advice. When does the fuel filter have to be replaced and how hard is that? I sure as hell don't plan on having the stealership work on my baby.

AFE Stage II will be here next week and i'd like to add an exhaust or at least a tip, something to offset the stockness. Any ideas/suggestions for exhaust? Even if its just a fancy pipe, something to give it a little more appeal.

I gotta get some new tires too...those stock ones are so damn small!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Its the same to change as any other.
Warm the engine up a little, let it sit a few minutes, then unscrew the plug and try not to make an EPA pollution incident when the oil comes out. If you wait a little bit, the oil filter can be pulled without even dripping any oil, and its easy to get to from underneath the truck.
If youre worried about making a mess, cut the top off a 1/2 gallon milk container and use the bottom to remove the filter so it catches any oil.

Make sure the oil you refill with meets the CJ-4 (i think) specs, and the Cummins specs. Look in the owners manual for the specific requirements. I used shell rotella 5w-40 oil, cost about $13/gallon here in irvine.

·
High Intensity DODGE
71 Posts
I'm ready to do my first oil change. Bought the truck two weeks ago and has a little over 2500 miles on it now. I bought a K&N filter for it (I just like 'em since they have the nut on bottom) but I'm wondering about oil. I plan to wait until 15-20k to do the switch to synthetic (better safe than sorry is a good philosophy IMHO) .

I've done a little reading and it seems that as far as dino oils go, Rotella, Delo, and Delvac would all be good choices. Am I correct? This is my first diesel and I want to keep her running for a million miles if I can. Ok, well maybe I won't own it that long, but you get the point. ;)

Thank you to anyone that can help me here.

·
warlock06
551 Posts
valvoline is recomended by cummins....???? the mess situation is easily fixed by taking the filter off with a gallon ziplock bag around it. and why wait if youre going to run synthetic?

·
^GM Goodwrench Certified^
2,918 Posts
15w-40

·
High Intensity DODGE
71 Posts
valvoline is recomended by cummins....???? the mess situation is easily fixed by taking the filter off with a gallon ziplock bag around it. and why wait if youre going to run synthetic?
Thanks. I bought the Valvoline. I wouldn't imagine that Cummins would put their name on oil that would harm their engines. :WHT:

·
New Project!...Again!
3,261 Posts
My truck just flashed oil change required yesterday. This will be my first oil change and Im right at 5k. The manual says 7500 miles but can vary by driving style. I dont mind changing it out early though due to me being in dusty conditions quite often. I will let you know how it goes.

Also, try to use Wicks, Fleet guard or Mopar oil filters only. Should you have any engine issues, the dealer gets extremely picky when it comes to oil filters. Me personally, I am only gonna run a mopar filter.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Premium Blue is Cummins' recipe, contracted and brewed by Valvoline. Years ago Castrol was contracted to make Premium Blue. I used Valvoline Premium Blue in my Cummins engines and will again in the future. The first time I changed the oil in my '95 Cummins Ram, I splattered oil out of the pan and all over the driveway. After that, I knew to hold the plug in the flow to prevent the oil bath. Other than that, oil changes are the same. Dodge put the oil filter in the same location on the Hemi so I wouldn't get confused...

·
New Project!...Again!
3,261 Posts
Takes 3 gallons of oil. I just picked up 3 of the Valvoline large bottles and filled it perfectly. And yes, be careful with the drain plug... Geez does that oil come out FAST! I had a huge drain pan and I still got it everywhere. Including all over my upper half. Man does that stuff stain the skin. Took so much scrubbing to get that stuff off.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You scrubbed it off??? Me and the ol' lady... ah never mind. We were younger then!:D

·
Much too young to focus,
290 Posts
Make sure you fill the oil filter first before putting it on the motor.

YOU SHOULD do that. If not then you can do alot of damage to your engine. Just fill it up a little at a time and let the oil soak into the filter.

The 5.9L oil filter takes about 2 quarts to fill up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts