DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 00' Quad Cab with 71000 on a 4.7L. and its time to change the oil. I haven't used synthetic's in the past but am considering it on this ride. Any thoughts or comments about why or why not to use them, and if so which one would be best.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Mobile 1 for 5 years now every 5K. No issues.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought some Mobil 1 for my R/T, but I am not sure which oil filter to purchace for this expensive oil.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i use mopar oil filters, i say this because on a v8 i have always had the aftermarket like fram, stp, puralator all leak on me. With the mopar oil filter, i have never had a problem, and i have a 89 ram with 215k and still going strong! I also have a 01 dakota, and use only mopar oil filters.

·
Registered
558 Posts
royal purple.

·
The Cherry Express
3,846 Posts
Since you dont know what was used in it for the first 71,000 miles, FULL synthetic is probably a waste of money. If it were me i would go with a synthetic BLEND, they are cheaper, and you are still getting some benefit. With the mileage you have the best thing you can do is KEEP it changed at regular intervals, no matter what you decide to use !!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have to admit that I goto the dealer. But then again I'm still under warranty. 10,000 miles today

·
Registered
827 Posts
i use full synthetic(most major brands are fine). oil change every 10k km's (6k miles) with a new filter spun on halfway though. no problems @ 130k km's. no problems on past vehicles. 320k km's on 92 exploder, 215k km on 90 sidekick.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and used a Syn-blend this time. I don't put a lot of miles on the truck. Its primarily a work vehicle. I may log 3,000 miles every 4-5 months if that, more in the Summer time. I'm due to change again in October.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.