DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering about this. My truck, if I just floor it will sit still and just spin almost like a break stand. You have to feather the throttle to get away smartly, it does have an open rear but I need that more than a LSD.
So can you take off hard, full throttle, with 4wheel drive engaged and say before the box takes 2nd knock it back to 2wheel drive?
The guys I know with hot CTD's do this at the strip but they are putting down so much torque and HP they claim they have to, plus they break stuff all the time and I need to make mine to last and if I want to go real fast I'll use one of my bikes.
Will it be slower because your diverting power to front axle? Even though it's all turning all the time anyway causing drag it's just not powered.
Would axle wind up be a problem?
What you all reckon?

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
well....it wouldnt be like an all wheel drive vehicle, because you have a variable speed transfer case. if for some reason your rear wheels start spinning and your front ones dont, you could blow your transfer case. you might be able to get away with it in 4high, if you dont stomp it right away, it would not be slower because the power is diverted to the front wheels...its the same power, just split before it hits the ground. you may lose a small % in the driveline since your using two, but you get my drift

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you mean I don't have a variable speed transfer case, such as the AWD type viscus couplings used by many manufactures?
I know the risk of blowing the transmision might make it just not worth it but if the rear wheels are spinning the fronts would have to at the same speed or the drive train would just wind up, wouldn't it?
Like I said it's just a thought and I do get the drift of your thinking, thanks. But if it works you would come off the line like poop off a chrome shovel.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
your exactly correct. ive seen some pretty impressive all wheel drive launches.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
On the street you should keep it in 4x4... hold the brake and rev it to 3000RPMs.... when the light turns GREEN put it too the floor and let off the brake at the same time. This should get you ahead in a hurry.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
129 Posts
in my 02 (diesel),,i have to run 4x4,2wd wont go anywhere.i launch in 4wd,as soon as it shifts1-2,i lock the convertor,then shift it back to 2wd.it stays in 4wd until the 2-3 shift and unlocks.,,theres alot going on in there,but this yields best slips.....ive ran it the full 1/4 in 4x4,it ran 98mph.shifting it back to 2wd,it runs 99.9.et`s were close enough to not matter...but be forewarned,if youre making the power,4x4 launches are gonna kill your clutch packs,and if you really have the power,your output shaft is gonna snap pretty soon.........then again,,this is on a 47re trans.,,not sure on the 1500`s......bama

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
WOW! You guys are just asking for trouble with your differentials and transfer case. You are not supposed to run 4WD on dry ground. You always need something to allow a little slippage like dirt, mud, water, snow, etc... Running 4WD on dry pavement, and on a full on WOT run, is a no no.

No offense meant but WOW!

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The main cause of axle/transmision wind up is in turning. All the wheels are covering different distances in a turn. In a strait line shouldn't be to much and with little or no wheelspin shouldn't cause a difference in distance covered between front and back axles. In the wet no two wheel drive would stay with a four wheel drive off the line, I do say off the line after that it's anybodies game.
Not talking about super sticky drag tires just OEM street tires so don't think were making transaxle smashing stress here. :cool:

·
Shark Hunter
6,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not really. Shove auto in drive and maybe select tow/haul mode, reach down pull lever back into four wheel. Start staring at light like your Clint Eastwood in one of his early films waiting for the other guy to draw down on you. Stop breathing. Hold foot brake. Bring revs up and the light changes, BANG, foot off break as the loud pedal hits the floor, don't worry about revs, it's an auto, reach down and snick the lever forward out of four wheel drive, let it rev out through at least third gear, remember to start to breath again and next time try to find something quicker than a bus to go up against.
Should work shouldn't it? :rck: :rck: :rck:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.