DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1991 Ram 150 auto/5.2 carbureted V8 this year. It runs like a champ, uses no oil between changes at 85K miles, and gets decent gas mileage between 14.5 and 17.5 mpg depending on whether she's towing, or not. Recently the odometer stopped working. I tried pressing the trip odometer (which had zeroed out) button, removed the dash panel and cleaned the electrical connectors, removed speedometer/odometer and cleaned those connectors, and cleaned a few connectors near the back of the tranny. It still doesn't work. Does anybody out there know if this is a common problem with this vintage of Dodge truck, and if so, what the fix might be. If not, what's a good troubleshooting procedure? I'm not sure where in the firewall the connector for the odometer wiring is.

Thanks to any who can field this one.

dodger_two

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Do you have a speedo cable or is it electric?

Generally the odometer is driven by the speedo and isn't driven by a seperate cable or wire. It may be an internal problem in the speedo/odom. gauge itself. Try removing the speedo/odom. gauge....you may be able to see something in there that is causing the problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
mine doesnt work either, but sometimes my speedometer doesnt work...i pulled out teh cluster and checked for ne loose conection but there isnt ne instance of it and there not dirty....there are only two big connector that connec to the cluster....thats all thats coming from the cluster that operates all the gauges....btw i have a 90 Dodge Ram D150 239 V6.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
the speedo on my 91 quit working and I tried every thing you mentioned and more including replacing the drive gear in the trans for the speedo. nothing helped but it eventually started working again on its own. If I remember right its cable driven up into the cab then somehow converted to electronic. Wish I could be more help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 1992 does the same thing. It will stop working for a couple days, then all of a sudden start working again. I have not tracked down the problem yet, but it appears common.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
My whole dash would die in my '94 B250 van. I pulled the cluster checked the connections and used some dielectric grease on the pins...didn't help. Turned out to be my "gauges" fuse (5 amp) in the fuse box. It was loose in the holder. I took the fuse out and bent the tabs in a bit and now the fuse sit tight and I haven't had a problem since.

Worth a check.

·
Registered
15 Posts
there is a sensor located at the transmission it controls your speedometer,speedsensor.it has two wires running to it,change this and it should solve your problem

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.