Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Dodge RAM 1500

Cruising along on flat road in OD, truck goes good. Start to go up a hill and OD seems to skip. It does seem to downshift when it needs to.

Also, when very cold (below zero) it will not shift into OD at all.

Any ideas where I should start.

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
sounds like your od unit is going south mine is doing the same thing im just waiting for the snow to clear out to swap it out

·
work in progress
1,709 Posts
if yours is stock start saving you should get the whole thing gone thru i just need mine to last a couple more months as im swapping in a big block and 727 trans soon and i know the main part of my tranny is in good shape im just not sure about the od unit im swapping in

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
1999 Dodge RAM 1500

Cruising along on flat road in OD, truck goes good. Start to go up a hill and OD seems to skip. It does seem to downshift when it needs to.

Also, when very cold (below zero) it will not shift into OD at all.

Any ideas where I should start.
Throttle pos...sensor TPS . known to be a faulty sensor replace it , 50bucks at autozone . when your atf doent reach a certian lower temp 50 degree f... it will lock out od and your od light will be on . below zero is cold .

·
Registered
160 Posts
My OD doesn't kink in when it is cold out either. Came in this morning it was -5 and the it didn't kick in the whole 8 miles to work. But when it is around 10 above it will kick in the first mile or so. I believe that is by design.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
That's the way it is supposed to do.:gr_patrio

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced the TPS. No Change. Any other sensors that may be failing??? I did read that this model has problems with the transmission output shaft speed sensor. Also problems with Rear Axle Speed Sensor. Could any of these cause the problem?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.