DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Ram 1500 5.9 Auto. My engine like, runs out of steam at 45-50 unless i gass it.

I actually think it's the TC locking that's causing the problem, to me it feels like it's locking too early, is that possible? It'll get to around 45-50 and then the rpms will drop to 1250rpm from like 2k and the truck will seem like it's struggling and then if i gas it'll downshift [or unlock?] and rev back up and accelerate.

After 50 - 55 it cruises fine, maybe allabiet a little vibration, but at 50 it feels like it's got no more motor!

I just had the bands adjusted and the fluid flushed and i know it's full.

The TV cable seems to be in perfect adjustment.

Oh and I tested the TPS voltage, and it's .6V at idle. I was thinking about replacing it. But i'm not sure if that'll do it.

Please, i really need some help with this, it makes it near impossible to cruise around 45 - 50.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Not sure if the 5.9s much better, but mine is only good for level road in OD at less than 50, the OD just drops the engine speed too far in the pursuit of economy. It's OD off for the hilly local roads.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Terran said:
I have a 97 Ram 1500 5.9 Auto. My engine like, runs out of steam at 45-50 unless i gass it.

I actually think it's the TC locking that's causing the problem, to me it feels like it's locking too early, is that possible? It'll get to around 45-50 and then the rpms will drop to 1250rpm from like 2k and the truck will seem like it's struggling and then if i gas it'll downshift [or unlock?] and rev back up and accelerate.

After 50 - 55 it cruises fine, maybe allabiet a little vibration, but at 50 it feels like it's got no more motor!

I just had the bands adjusted and the fluid flushed and i know it's full.

The TV cable seems to be in perfect adjustment
Oh and I tested the TPS voltage, and it's .6V at idle. I was thinking about replacing it. But i'm not sure if that'll do it.

Please, i really need some help with this, it makes it near impossible to cruise around 45 - 50.

That is where mine locks up too. As far as I know that is normal. I got my 96 with 76,000 miles on it and it was like you describe yours. Since then I have changed to synthetic motor oil and rear end lube and it does have better response without downshifting. Maybe it just got used to me. LOL Mine is a 318 (5.2) not 5.9. 97500 miles now. :gr_patrio

·
ADAM PLEASE COME HOME!
82 Posts
Thats the exact same thing that happens to mine! I will be very interested in how you are able to solve this one. I usually just drive with the OD off unless im on the highway.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
It is quite normal. I do a lot of highway driving, and unless I am gunning the rpms, it will downshift to 1250 rpms around 50ish.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Thats the exact same thing that happens to mine! I will be very interested in how you are able to solve this one. I usually just drive with the OD off unless im on the highway.
like said above, run the OD unless you are cruising at 50 or greater.
Mine locks up at 45 if I am creeping, if I am accelerating hard, it won't lock up until 65-70.
If I am going up a hill and want it to unlock without downshifting I just tap the break to unlock the T/C. It won't lock up again until i let off the gas some.

You may want to replace the TPS, the TV cable only controls line pressure, kickdown, and (to a certain extent) shift points.

Any way to change the lockup point on it?
PCM flash. PCM governs shift points & T/C lock.

edit: with the 4.11s mine will still pull a hill in OD, even when locked at 50. You may want to invest in some gears before having the PCM flashed.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
dealers wont do any type of custom flash.
B&G does a performance flash for $350. You could probably get him to change that while he was in there.
I am having mine flashed shortly after Christmas.
If you get the flash you will have added power in addition to the lock up speed you want.

I would get gears before I change the lock up settings, changing the T/c lockup speec will affect your gas mileage.

You might try clocking the TPS forward and see if that changes it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.