DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Durango with 132k miles. This is my 2nd Transmission which was new at about 67k. It's an awesome vehicle other than the Tranny.

My problem is that occasionally the transmission will stick in gear (my best guess), even while stopped. The engine RPM will drop down to below 500 at standstill or slowdown and fluctuates between 3 and 5 hundred RPM. When I am cruising if feels like the engine is choking with no increase in RPM. If I floor the accelerator it feels like the transmission will kick in and eventually (by flooring it) the problem clears up for a few days or weeks.

Any ideas on this one? I have been reading about the TSP Sensor, could this be the issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Could be the tps or also your tranny shifter cable may be too loose or tight. It needs a little slack in it. It is the cable on the left of the TB next to the throttle cable.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
TPS or IAC... leaning toward possibly both. Try cleaning the IAC and check the voltage on the center connector of the TPS's plug. Should be around .7mV.

Some people say they clear up the symptoms by cleaning the IAC, mine didn't go away when I did that, but they did when I went and did the TPS modification and adjusted the voltage.

I say both because I never felt like the engine was choking (then again, the engine seems to choke at certain RPM's/gears/speed combinations normally). I would check the TPS first.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
I don't think the TV cable will cause the RPM flux. It will cause the crappy shifting though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
No definitely not the flux but I have had lousy shifting mine was too tight after AAMCO rebuilt my tranny at 35k miles. :mad:

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Oh my...he said the "A" word!

·
Registered
76 Posts
HAHA I sure did. I went with them because they guarantee their work and it ended up needing a lot of guaranteeing after they were "done" fixing it LOL. I had all of my sensors go out after their rebuild some of them on multiple occasions but all is good now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I think the RPM flux is because it is stuck in too high of a gear, right?

I'll try and change out the TPS and see if that helps. Not familiar with IAC. I'll look it up.

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
Don't change the TPS until you have tried adjusting the shifter cable. it sounds like yours may be too loose. Mine was too tight and it liked to downshift too far all the time. I'd be accelerating normal to get on the freeway and if I had to get on it to get into a spot it would jump down 2 gears instead of one. :drivingz:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took a look at this today. The cable is way loose to me. It has a lot of extra play in it. How do I go about adjusting this? Is it a screw head facing directly at me?

I did a quick search on here but didn't see anything.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, did more searching and found this:

Cable runs from passenger side of throttle body to lever on drivers side of trans. the end of the cable at the throttle body mounts to a stud (or ball, don't remember which). Remove the end of the cable from the throttle body. Cable end should line up with the mount +/- 1/32" if adjusted correctly. Sounds like yours might be to tight. If it needs adjustment, follow the cable towards the firewall to the mounting bracket. You'll see a clip securing the cable housing to the bracket. Loosen clip and slide cable housing forward / backward as necessary to adjust the location of the cable end and reinstall clip.

Looks like I have a plan.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update... I had the cable adjusted by the dealer while having my Waterpump replaced. Although I still think it feels loose I have yet to have the problem come up again. Seems like the cable did the trick! Thanks for all the help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.