Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
First let me say thanks for all of the help that you have unwittingly given me since I started lurking around here.

Now to my problem. 2 days ago I pulled out of a gas station and my check engine light came on. My truck started sputtering bad and it felt like it wasn't getting fuel. I drove home and let it sit a few minutes and disconnected the battery to clear the code and started it back up. Everything was fine. The next day, I drove over 120 miles and everything was fine again. Today, everything was fine until I started home from work, then it started sputtering again. I had to pull off the road and let it sit again. I barely made it home. The truck would only go about 20 mph. It was quite embarassing.

I took it to Autozone and they pulled a P0132 code (O2 sensor) from the computer. My question is:

Should I try to replace the O2 sensor first or could something else be wrong and causing the O2 sensor to throw a code?

Thanks,

·
mope
531 Posts
I would say it is your cat. A lot of people on here have had the same problem, and it ended up being a clogged cat. I just got rid of mine so I did not have to deal with it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
P0132 02 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank I Sensor 1)
The simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

If the code comes back, the problem is more than likely the front driver's side oxygen sensor. You will likely wind up replacing it but you should also consider these possible solutions:

Check and fix any exhaust leaks
Check for wiring problems (shorted, frayed wires)
Check the frequency and amplitude of the oxygen sensor (advanced)
Check for a deteriorating / contaminated oxygen sensor, replace if necessary
Check for inlet air leaks
Check the MAF sensor for proper operation

Or have you tried this?
http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought of it being my cat. It has been rattling for a while. I looked through this and other forums and, based on what I learned, I can wait until the rear post cat O2 sensor throws a code before replacing it. Correct?

I looked at the code list and and found the code I got from the ignition method (21). That says

"O2 sensor does not detect rich or lean condition, or O2 sensor input voltage too high. DRB will indicate which side with dual sensors. The O2 sensor signal should fluctuate under normal conditions."

Does that statement mean that I can eliminate some of the fuel and emission components as being the problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update.

As of this morning, the check engine light has not come back on since I reset the PCM yesterday. However, I can still barely feel some hesitation and stuttering but that's from a cold start this morning.

Does the fact that the O2 sensor has not thrown a code again mean that the problem could lie elsewhere or does it take a while for the code to show up?

Thanks again,

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have seen O2 sensors behave like this before. With 130K Miles plus all the should just be replaced. O2 sensors get 'lazy' with age. In other words instead of the voltage changing rapidly it will linger from high to low. The computer may not pick up on this until it gets really bad. I would replace at least the two upstream sensors and for optimum performance change them all.

Eric

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.