DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· (_)& (_)& (_)&
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i thought i start a new thread instead of keep hijacking the one i was on.
how do the o2 sensors work? isnt it just a resistance that the computer reads? same as the IAT? and if it were to be tricked into thinking it was always good, doesnt the computer need to know whats coming out so it can make the minor adjustments? or if the front sensors tell the comp how to react, then the back sensors just tell if the cat is working. did i make sense of the question? im great with electronics and troubleshooting (its my job) so i might have some ideas.

· Clinically Certified
736 Posts
I believe the O2 is like a battery...from 0 to 1 volt not resistance. It has to be hot to actually produce a voltage with the amount of O2 in the exhaust stream. The difference in voltage between the front O2 and the rear O2 tells the computer the effeciency of the cats.

· Registered
97 Posts
The 2004 repair manual describes the O2 sensors as operating in a range of 2.5 to 3.5 volts after they have reached normal operating temperature. All other performance features are similar to other O2 sensors, i.e.- Higher voltage=less O2, lower voltage=more O2.

· Clinically Certified
736 Posts
Rambunkshus said:
The 2004 repair manual describes the O2 sensors as operating in a range of 2.5 to 3.5 volts after they have reached normal operating temperature. All other performance features are similar to other O2 sensors, i.e.- Higher voltage=less O2, lower voltage=more O2.
Thanks for the clarification...knew it was voltage, but remembered way back when it was around 1 volt. Been a long time since I kept up on these things...and boy have they changed :banghead:

· Registered
118 Posts
Some people in other vehicles will delete the rear O2's in the tune, so you could even unplug then or take them off the car and have no issues.

Others that don't have the money, will use O2 Sims (for GM cars) or MIL Eliminators (Ford vehicles). They basically do the same thing, they plug in the harness where the second sensor would go in a stock system, and they simulate the correct readings to the computer.

Arron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.