DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys still new to these forms but so far they have been a big help!
I searched for my problem and didn't find an answer so creating a new post.

I have 01 ram 1500 5.9l 4x4. I read somewhere these trucks have three 02 sensors. Two before the cat and one after.
(1) is this true?

I have a check engine light on with two codes. P0132 and p0135. The previous owner said he removed the cat to make the exhaust louder. He explained (not very well) that something with that is causing the O2 sensors to trigger the check engine light. I don't believe this is true after a little research.
(2) If I am not mistaken the codes are for the upstream O2 seniors and have nothing to do with them catalic converter?!

(3) any ideals how to fix these codes? Is it as simple as a new O2 sensor?

Also I have no pressure in my oil gauge. The gauge reads zero at all times. However when running the cluster test the gauge moves fine. So clearly the cluster isn't broken. I purchased a oil sending unit from the auto store.
(4) Before I put it in I want to make sure this will can fix my problem??.Can not return it once it has been installed.

For your confidence I have numbered my questions.
Thanks in advance guys!! :smile
-JC

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I have 01 ram 1500 5.9l 4x4. I read somewhere these trucks have three 02 sensors. Two before the cat and one after.
(1) is this true?

I have a check engine light on with two codes. P0132 and p0135. The previous owner said he removed the cat to make the exhaust louder. He explained (not very well) that something with that is causing the O2 sensors to trigger the check engine light. I don't believe this is true after a little research.
(2) If I am not mistaken the codes are for the upstream O2 seniors and have nothing to do with them catalic converter?!

(3) any ideals how to fix these codes? Is it as simple as a new O2 sensor?

Also I have no pressure in my oil gauge. The gauge reads zero at all times. However when running the cluster test the gauge moves fine. So clearly the cluster isn't broken. I purchased a oil sending unit from the auto store.
(4) Before I put it in I want to make sure this will can fix my problem??.Can not return it once it has been installed.

For your confidence I have numbered my questions.
Thanks in advance guys!! :smile
-JC
Ya, good to number questions!

1. ... Myself DK 01, and just a novice with elec stuff but never heard of 3 (haven't a clue, heavy duty truck maybe???); most have 2; California have 4 (maybe a few other states too).

2. and 3. Sounds like bad upstream 02, or wires/harness; first 2 links are for your codes, last link for a bunch more (hope ya never need em though!)

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0132

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0135

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

... IIRC without a cat, some make a bushing/spacer/extension? to mount the upstream? 02 (to fool the puter); sorry no info/link, just heard, and seen pics somewhere.

4. ... IDK how to test wire or send input to test gauge etc; only the mech gauge test as suggested in the other thread (which is the only way to know for sure if the critical "actual" oil pressure is "fail, borderline, weak, ok, good, very good, awesome"; you get the picture).

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
P0132 O2 Sensor 1/1 Circuit Voltage High

P0135 O2 Sensor 1/1 Heater Failure

You either have 2 or 4 02 sensors. If you did have 4 the code/s would tell you witch side (left or right bank) the fault was on. There is a problem with #1 (upstream sensor).

Better hope the problem is the sender, Driving with no oil pressure you are asking for major problems(seized engine). The gauge reads 0 but is the idiot light on?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, good to number questions!

1. ... Myself DK 01, and just a novice with elec stuff but never heard of 3 (haven't a clue, heavy duty truck maybe???); most have 2; California have 4 (maybe a few other states too).

2. and 3. Sounds like bad upstream 02, or wires/harness; first 2 links are for your codes, last link for a bunch more (hope ya never need em though!)

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0132

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0135

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

... IIRC without a cat, some make a bushing/spacer/extension? to mount the upstream? 02 (to fool the puter); sorry no info/link, just heard, and seen pics somewhere.

4. ... IDK how to test wire or send input to test gauge etc; only the mech gauge test as suggested in the other thread (which is the only way to know for sure if the critical "actual" oil pressure is "fail, borderline, weak, ok, good, very good, awesome"; you get the picture).
P0132 O2 Sensor 1/1 Circuit Voltage High

P0135 O2 Sensor 1/1 Heater Failure

You either have 2 or 4 02 sensors. If you did have 4 the code/s would tell you witch side (left or right bank) the fault was on. There is a problem with #1 (upstream sensor).

Better hope the problem is the sender, Driving with no oil pressure you are asking for major problems(seized engine). The gauge reads 0 but is the idiot light on?

Okay guys thanks for the response. Going to try and change the oil sending unit tonight. Looked under the truck and was utterly baffled! The exhaust is 100 percent modified. I'll do my best to explain and show pictures.

Okay first things first. The exaust is suppose to have a y joining just before the first O2 sensor then the Catalic converter then the second O2 sensor and then split again (1) is this correct?

My doesn't do this. The y part has been cut off and closed. Now my left exaust runs straight out the back. No O2 sensors no cat. My passenger side has a welded y with the left side cut off then the first o2 sensor a little more pipe then the second O2 sensor no cat. Hope this makes sense. Pictures to follow. (2) In light of this new information how can I fix the codes?
(3) will changing the first sensor even do anything because it has only half the exaust coming out?
(4) key I know what your talking about. O2 sensor non fouler trick. I've heard of this and know how to do it however will that even help in my situation with only half of an exhaust being tested?
(5) would half the exaust cause it test rich or something or throw anything off at all?

Thanks in advance guys! As always very helpful to number the questions in order for them to be answered.

Here's the pictures.

-JC

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This shows the Y part. It's clearly cut and only has one part of the exaust going into the sensor. (Top right is first O2 sensors location)

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okthis picture is to show no cat. The second sensor is on the bottom right part of the exaust a little ways down.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
What is coming off the passenger side exhaust manifold? The new pipe is welded to the drivers side(what is left of ) y pipe but cant see anything on the passenger side. ???

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is coming off the passenger side exhaust manifold? The new pipe is welded to the drivers side(what is left of ) y pipe but cant see anything on the passenger side. ???
Okay I drew a picture to better explain it. Let me know if it isn't clear. Figure 1shows what my muffler system is supposed to be.
Figure 2 shows what I actually havE.

Thanks.
Jc

Attachments

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
Ok, I didn't see where the old pipe was connected. Someone got creative! Replace the front 02. Stay away from Bosch, NTK preferably. Reset the pcm so it can clear the old codes and learn the new 02.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I didn't see where the old pipe was connected. Someone got creative! Replace the front 02. Stay away from Bosch, NTK preferably. Reset the pcm so it can clear the old codes and learn the new 02.
Okay will update you on how that goes. I changed the oil pressure sending unit. The check gauge went away and now the gauge is working!!!!!! Its showing 40 and holding. (1) What pressure should it be at?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Depends on temp, oil weight and engine rpm.

Okay replaced the O2 sensor with an aftermarket brand like you suggested. The p0135 code went away however still getting the p0132 code. Read in a form this may be because it isn't a true oem part. (1) is this true? Can you offer any other suggestions.
(2)should I try an oem mopar part first before anything or last?

Below is a link of the forum I was referring to. http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/3n824-p0132-code-changed-upstream-o2-sensor-throws.html

Thanks
-JC

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
Nothing wrong with NTK 02's! I was hoping the new 02 would take care of both but it looks like you have a problem with the heater or power to it. 02's have a heater built in to get them up to operating temp fast so they can supply accurate input to the pcm. You need to get a wiring diagram and test if you have voltage at the plug. Just curious what part # did you get?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nothing wrong with NTK 02's! I was hoping the new 02 would take care of both but it looks like you have a problem with the heater or power to it. 02's have a heater built in to get them up to operating temp fast so they can supply accurate input to the pcm. You need to get a wiring diagram and test if you have voltage at the plug. Just curious what part # did you get?
I think the p0135 code was the one about the heater.
The p0132 code is a "high voltage" code. This is the code im still seeing. (1) what could this be?
I got the ntk part number 23139? It also has A8B9B4 on the box.

Thanks for the infor so far. You've been super helpful. Two problems down. One to go.

-JC

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The p0132 code is a "high voltage" code. This is the code im still seeing. (1) what could this be?
Feel/visually inspect 02 harness underneath truck for melted/hard; with all the exhaust work who knows if previous leaks or routing melted something.

I changed the oil pressure sending unit. The check gauge went away and now the gauge is working!!!!!! Its showing 40 and holding. (1) What pressure should it be at?
... Perhaps it was missed, see post 10 ... (would not trust factory or any electric gauge unless it has been proven to be accurate)

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561705&highlight=JcRiggleman

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.