DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 1/2 ton qaud cab w/the 5.2 L. Auto tran I've noticed when driving un-even ground I have used the O/D off switch when the motor starts kinda doggin' out up a hill or something. If I have the cruise control on and we get to an incline , the "passing gear" ( i think) kicks in very hard and raps the rpm out to the MAX. If I hit the O/d off before it kicks into passing gear, it isn't as violent and does not rap it out. Will this type of O/D off switch usage cause me problems down the road? Is there something going on with my tranny I should check into....Any input is appreciated...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey JKC,
I have a 96 Dodge with the same motor and I have the same problem. When I am going up a hill on the high the truck drops to 3rd, skipping the passing gear and I'm scream up the hill at 3000 RPM. I've had my truck in for this problem and Dodge tells me nothing is wrong, but I don't believe them.
I use my OD swith everyday when I'm driving in the city and the switch has never gone bad. Even if it does you can get a new one for around $40.
Cheers,
Jason

·
Hotty Toddy Gosh Almighty
5,101 Posts
It perfectly normal guys. I have an 03', Ram but with the 46RE tranny, the same as you guys. When you lock out the overdrive, the torque convertor is locked or unlocked (can't rememer which one), but with no way to "slip" there is going to be a hard engagement and spike in RPMs when going into a lower gear, essentially a direct engagement from the engine to the tranny.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Right! Only thing is mine drops to third when OD is on, skipping the passing gear. I have to feather my throttle to get it to use the passing gear. It's been rebuilt twice, oh well. :eek:

·
5,101 Posts
3rd gear is the passing gear and the gear that the vehicle is in when the O/D is locked out. Its a 4 spd tranny, 4th gear is overdrive, so by locking out the O/D you are eliminating 4th gear. Are you dropping an additional gear when the O/D is locked out at highway speeds !?!?!?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hmmm, strange.
When I'm in OD on the highway I can drop one gear that ups the RPM's about 200 (this is the one it thought was the passing gear), push the pedal down more and I'll drop to third. Perhaps I'm a mental case, I'll count them on the way home tonight.

·
5,101 Posts
Dropping one gear at 70 mph should increase rpms by about 1K. 200 rpms should be the torque convertor locking and unlocking as you adjust your throttle.

On my 4spd, 46RE, with the O/D locked out on the interstate (3rd gear) I run around 3K. 4th (O/D being used) I am at 2K. When using the Overdrive (4th gear). Slightly mashing the gas will result in 200 rpmish change.

·
Derelict
392 Posts
With overdrive=off there's no 4th gear AND the TC will lockup in third.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.