DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know what these tests are or what they mean???
I know they failed but cant find out their meaning.

I will email the maker of the scan tool (Auto X Ray 6000) also but they wont respond till monday and I am impatient..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
32 views and not even a guess woooowwwww

·
Registered
827 Posts
those look to me like CAN protocol tests. CAN protocol is on its way in and is mandatory by 2008.we'll still have obdII style codes available to us but it refines obdII even further .It also makes all manufacturers "speak" to their computers in the same way. we have at least 4 different configurations now. we just updated our snap on at work a month ago and I haven't played with the laptop lately so i'm not completely at ease with test reading results in that mode. i'm still playing with it to learn what is and isn't available to me in global mode so i'm not much help to you. if you do get some literature i'd be interested the info. let me know. good luck with this

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
abossram said:
11=No crank reference signal at PCM
51=02 sensor stuck at lean position
53=Internal logic module problem

Got these of Google!! HTH
Abossram

What exactly did you type in the google search??

I yahoo ed
obd test id
mode 6 test descriptions
obs tests

lots of stuff but nothing listing anything helpful

I would like to get or compile a list with all the meanings
And I would also like to get a list showing the within ranges for all the sensors..
I now know that high voltage on the 02 sensor means its running rich..

I did find a page written by an author and it stated the following

"Unfortunately, GM, Daimler-Chrylser and other vehicle manufacturers have not yet posted any of their Mode 06 information on the iATN website. Mode 06 information on other vehicle manufacturers usually can be found by searching their service websites. These sites, which include all their OBD II-related service information, can be accessed via the Internet for fees ranging from free to about $25 per day. "

·
Registered
827 Posts
his codes look like pre 96 old style obd I codes.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Just went to dealer and was told that these codes are different than drb obd codes

like scanner says
obdmid $1
test id $11
=No crank reference signal at PCM
and on a drb that would mean something different..

Do these subscription sites list the correct obd test stuff ??? Or do they just let you look up dtc code, which differ from pid's codes
Tests and dtc codes that are different...

All Data DIY seemed to suck balls if I remember the demo they offered, lets you look up check engine codes and tsb info wich is something that I can already do for free...

I am looking for a site that lists the obd II test results and descriptions and info on pid's for j1979
Anyone who subscribes to any service to get check engine codes is just wasting money because its free all over the web and places like autozone will scan your car for free..

·
Registered
740 Posts
OBDMID $01 Fail = P.O.S scanner ???

Did you try the ignition key method ?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
regans5 said:

Did you try the ignition key method ?

Regans5
You obviously have no clue what this disscusion is about and its plain as day you cant read either..
If you had read this thread you would have seen the parts about dtc codes and obd tests not being the same,,,meaning they are different...

I will qoute

gsmagnum said:
Codes and tests are different from each other.
or where I stated

Dave3825 said:
Do these subscription sites list the correct obd test stuff ??? Or do they just let you look up dtc code, which differ from pid's codes..
Tests and dtc codes are different...
FYI I own a scanner so the "Did you try the ignition key method" is useless to me.The ignition trick will only tell you a DTC code if the mil is on.
Mil = message indicator lamp...
These sanners will tell you whats about to turn the light on and it does many other tests..

Since you did not read the whole thread this is what beind discussed

There are nine modes of operation described in the OBD-II standard (SAE J1979). They are:

1. Show current data
2. Show freeze frame data
3. Show stored trouble codes
4. Clear trouble codes and stored values
5. Test results, oxygen sensors
6. Test results, non-continuously monitored
7. Show pending trouble codes
8. Special control mode
9. Request vehicle information

and the $= crap is this stuff that the key on off on off on off wont tell you

The table below shows the standard OBD-II PIDs as defined by SAE J1979. The expected response for each PID is given, along with information on how to translate the response into meaningful data. Again, not all vehicles will support all PIDs and there can be manufacturer-defined custom PIDs that are not defined in the OBD-II standard.

Note that modes 1 and 2 are basically identical, except that Mode 1 provides current information, whereas Mode 2 provides a snapshot of the same data taken at the point when the last diagnostic trouble code was set. The exceptions are PID 01, which is only available in Mode 1, and PID 02, which is only available in Mode 2. If Mode 2 PID 02 returns zero, then there is no snapshot and all other Mode 2 data is meaningless.

The table wont display right but is here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

If you going to post silly comments please read the thread so you at least post about the general topic at hand

Dave

·
Registered
266 Posts
Dave-earlier in this thread I came up with the three codes on google. Don't remember what I used then but just now used "chrysler codes" and came to item three on first page which may or may not be of use. You are right these are OBD1 codes, but looking at pics, and not knowing your scanners programming, posted those. On the 2001 Ram you would normally see PXXXX as you know. Its possible I suppose that those codes you see on your scanner track with OBD1 codes, but I can't tell you they do or don't. I have a snap on scanner and don't see that kind of output, so I'm not of much help, I guess. Alex

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ooooooo, I'm impressed. Feel better about yourself? I was simply asking if your scanner could be junk. No, I don't own a scanner. When my mil comes on I retrieve the code & fix the problem. I've got better things to do than sit around banging my head against the wall trying to determine what I can fix that "aint" broke. Have fun. :banghead:

·
Registered
827 Posts
just for info. there's two ways of communicating with most professional scanners. on a snapon mt2500 with latest update, if you go in manufacturer specific, you get obdii(pXXXX) style codes,snapshots,various data screens, the ability to perform SOME bidirectional tests and the ability to clear codes and reset adaptives. the availability of specific tests and adaptive resets varies depending on the manufacturer of the vehicle. also, various systems can be accessed or not.
on ford you get drivability, fem, gem, abs, trans, pats and others. on chrysler you get pcm ,bcm, cluster but no abs. gm differs again. 4 different drivability data lists, abs bcm etc.

the OTHER way to enter is to go obd global. entering this way gives you access to the above mentioned 9 modes.

both methods can be used and both methods work better in different circumstances.

to get back to dave3825's original question, which of course i can't answer, you need to know what the pcm does.
as you drive, the pcm ,as conditions apply, runs system tests. it'll test the evap system by opening a purge valve an looking for an expected change in tank pressure or o2 voltage. it'll test egr system by opening valve and looking for an expected result(drop in rpm at idle). there are many tests that can be run. some apply or don't apply to different vehicles.

my understanding is that mode 6 is a standardized way of displaying data, although at this time my knowledge is limited.

in obdii as we've been used to, a tech knows what the code is, but without the parameters of the test that failed, how do you know how to solve the problem. for example. some on this forum have had thermostats stuck open or 160 thermostats and set a code for it. code desciption is failure to reach operating temp. wellllllllllllllll..........what are the parameters. engine must start under certain temp say 50 degrees f and run continuously for a length of time, say 20minutes. if temp has not reached a certain temp, say 185, a pending codes will set(not turn on the light) if same failure two warm up cycles in a row, hard code will set and light comes on. is it 50 degrees, is it 20 minutes, is it 185????? mode 6 will provide those answers in a standardized way(i believe)

in my understanding, mode 6 will give access to the testing parameters. voltage needed to pass or fail certain tests . think of it as enhanced obdii as we know it. we'll know more as time goes on and we work with it more.

again, not having worked with it alot, a may or may not be 100% accurate with the above info regarding mode 6. i'm sure others will correct me if im wrong or provide additional info

·
Registered
868 Posts
I am going to go out on a limb and say that unless you are failing a local inspection that it is probably a software issue.
Have you heard back from Auto X-ray yet?

If you download the scan into your computer on to your EZ-PC, it will probably show what tests were completed and what tests were not supported.

I just scanned mine after noticing similiar test results to yours and the same thing came up on it again.
Mine shows that all supported tests are completed, no codes, no mil light, and no freeze frame data stored.
If yours is showing the same, then you should be fine.
I still think that the Mopar FSM is a good idea. I want to get one for my van one of these days myself.

·
Registered
868 Posts
My readiness test results are as follows:
OBDMID $01 FAIL
TEST ID $11
000A NOT>=0038
000A <=FFFF
description not specified
I am willing to bet it is a glitch. My '96 Chevy Van once threw a code under one of the software revisions and not the next.

I am sending them a request for an explaination too.
I'll let you know if they send me a response.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
regans5 said:
Ooooooo, I'm impressed. Feel better about yourself? I was simply asking if your scanner could be junk. No, I don't own a scanner. When my mil comes on I retrieve the code & fix the problem. I've got better things to do than sit around banging my head against the wall trying to determine what I can fix that "aint" broke. Have fun. :banghead:
No not really :newbie:

You join this thread without reading or not understanding what the thread is about "obd readiness test results "
Yes the topic reads O B D question but no where in the thread does it state I dont know how to retrive dtc codes..

You then throw in a comment $11= p.o.s scanner?

You then prove again you did not read the thread by asking if I did the key on off trick (that only has to do with "dtc codes" not obd readiness test results .)

And now after your last reply "ooooo do you feel better", it looks to me like you are implieing that I sit around banging my head against the wall trying to determine what I can fix that "aint" broke when infact the scanner I own is plain as day saying that I failed 3 readiness tests...
None of this stuff can be seen by the key on off trick

Please if you dont know what we are talking about,,please keep your comments to yourself..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
gsmagnum

I was going to ask you but I see that you found the readiness tests in your scanner

I have not heard fro auto xray yet..I guess they realize there is a problem somewhere..

As far as the factory service manual I have the cd version and dont think its that great but I did go here and in the first pull down menu I picked diagonostic manuals then my year and hitting find , leaving the last pull down empty

They have a
2001 RAM TRUCK (BE/BR) POWERTRAIN DIAGNOSTIC MANUAL 15.00,
2001 RAM TRUCK (BR) CHASSIS DIAGNOSTIC MANUAL 3.00 and a
2001 RAM TRUCK BODY DIAGNOSTIC MANUAL 9.00

27.00 plus shipping for all three...I wonder if anyone on this board has any of these and could comment on the material inside and if this is a useful book...The prices do seam low for something from the dealer..

We will see if auto xray techs will respond to my email, and let me know about yours as well...Time to sleep now and thanks for poking around in you readiness tests knowing you show the same thing eases my mind a little bit I am getting an inspection wednesday and hope all goes well..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
gramol

I need some more time to reply to your last post..
But looking at this

OBDMID $01 FAIL
TEST ID $11
000A NOT>=0038
000A <=FFFF
and finding out about hex conversion it seems like as you said it will display the what is and what should be (parameters).. Meaning what I think is

000A NOT>=0038 converts to the "what should be" :eek:
000A <=FFFF and this converts to the "what is" ;)

I am going to find out more later on today I hope..
I will let you know as well.
GSmagnum has the same scanner as I do and his says the same.
He thinks it might be a software issue with the scanner.. And I hope he is right..:)

And Gsmagnum if you see this,, I did the latest update (software v 4.02 version k 3.03) on the tool and got he same results...

Dave
:drink:
:drinkn:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.