DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did not see anything on the site about this so I thought I would post it Been lurking for awhile and finally reg :) Found this little blurb about the 5.7 hemi engines stalling so thought you guys may be as interested in this as I am being a 2005 1500 owner.
Oh yea Hi first post here :D

Google "NTSB complaints" and it should be the first link
Did not know you could not post URL's here

Elk

·
Registered
318 Posts
5/20/05 -- The federal government is conducting an investigation involving more than 500,000 Dodge trucks and SUVs.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NTSB) says it's checking complaints of engines stalling in late models of the Dodge Ram 1500 and Durango.

Both vehicles have the automakers 5.7 liter engine.

There are currently no reports of injuries due to the stallings.

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
...Yea mine has stalled about 10x since I got it (Feb05). It has stalled once when shifting to reverse, and the rest when I'm stopped at a light.It has never done this while the vehicle is in motion (probably why I really haven't worried about it), I will mention it to my dealer at my next oil change...

·
Registered
63 Posts
3,000 and no stalles yet. It's hard driving with you fingers crossed :D

·
C HEMI GO
1,739 Posts
57,000 miles on mine. Never stalled on me.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
LOL... 68,000+ my 4.7L has never stalled on me....LOL

I had to toss that in there....

I think it scrap that dodge turns its back on its customers... Look at the rear end problems... they have had so many that they SHOULD have done a recall....but they dont and WE have to pay for it. They are making MONEY on a KNOW PROBLEM.... that isnt right at all.

I love my truck but DODGE is close to lose a REPEAT buyer if they dont get on the ball.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
AIR_RAM said:
LOL... 68,000+ my 4.7L has never stalled on me....LOL

I had to toss that in there....

I think it scrap that dodge turns its back on its customers... Look at the rear end problems... they have had so many that they SHOULD have done a recall....but they dont and WE have to pay for it. They are making MONEY on a KNOW PROBLEM.... that isnt right at all.

I love my truck but DODGE is close to lose a REPEAT buyer if they dont get on the ball.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Yeah well our 2002 came mighty close till Dodge came out with the flash to cure 4.7 stalling

Yep Dodge knows damn well their rears are a problem and you should never have had to pay that $100 deductible when a recall should have been ordered

That's why brand loyalty sucks

If Ford Chevy Dodge owners weren't brand loyal but went with the most reliable vehicles including Japanese they would be forced to stop this idiocy

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
uncbob said:
Yeah well our 2002 came mighty close till Dodge came out with the flash to cure 4.7 stalling

Yep Dodge knows damn well their rears are a problem and you should never have had to pay that $100 deductible when a recall should have been ordered

That's why brand loyalty sucks

If Ford Chevy Dodge owners weren't brand loyal but went with the most reliable vehicles including Japanese they would be forced to stop this idiocy
Why did you buy Dodge then? :huh:

·
--> UNITY <--
2,417 Posts
No stalling here either

elkcaller said:
Did not see anything on the site about this so I thought I would post it Been lurking for awhile and finally reg :) Found this little blurb about the 5.7 hemi engines stalling so thought you guys may be as interested in this as I am being a 2005 1500 owner.
Oh yea Hi first post here :D

Google "NTSB complaints" and it should be the first link
Did not know you could not post URL's here

Elk
I think you need about 10 - 15 posts or so before you can post url's. It's so people just cant make a name and spam up the forums/threads

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hemi Pete said:
price? looks?

bought mine because it was by far the best deal at the time. The Ford and GM dealers wouldn't budge from msrp minus the current incentives. The second I set foot in the dodge dealership they told me "$12k off loaded rams and we'll work with you after that to get you in one today." Needless to say, they got me in one that day. I ended up saving over $8k buying a Ram as opposed to a GM, Ford, or Nissan product.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Hemi Pete said:
Cause the new Fords are even worse( check their threads . BTW My previous truck was a 93 F150 NO WARRANTY WORK at all . So you can see I ain't brand loyal or I would have stayed with Ford ))and I didn't know about stalling issues and I thought that Dodge had fixed the rear problems on the 05s

·
Banned
524 Posts
Berman said:
price? looks?

bought mine because it was by far the best deal at the time. The Ford and GM dealers wouldn't budge from msrp minus the current incentives. The second I set foot in the dodge dealership they told me "$12k off loaded rams and we'll work with you after that to get you in one today." Needless to say, they got me in one that day. I ended up saving over $8k buying a Ram as opposed to a GM, Ford, or Nissan product.
Same here, my truck stalled twice (4.7L) before 10k mi....once coming to a stop, and once going to reverse.......other than that, it's been fine, i had it flashed at 31k...no problems to report

edit: Same here was for the reason I bought my truck...

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
uncbob said:
Cause the new Fords are even worse( check their threads . BTW My previous truck was a 93 F150 NO WARRANTY WORK at all . So you can see I ain't brand loyal or I would have stayed with Ford ))and I didn't know about stalling issues and I thought that Dodge had fixed the rear problems on the 05s
Okay, thanks for replying. :)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I can't believe this crap my 03 stalled and I had it re flashed and it was fine, how the hell are they not fixing this from the factory?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was at a dealer the other day and test drove a brand new '05 Hemi Ram and it stalled twice while I was parking it. The salesman said it was the battery and that his manager would give me a deal because it stalled on the test drive. Being a mechanic, I know that batteries dont usually cause cars to stall so I said forget it.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
bad67bug said:
I was at a dealer the other day and test drove a brand new '05 Hemi Ram and it stalled twice while I was parking it. The salesman said it was the battery and that his manager would give me a deal because it stalled on the test drive. Being a mechanic, I know that batteries dont usually cause cars to stall so I said forget it.
I can't believe he said that the battery would cause stalling issues.

Well, did you happen to notice the idle rpms during the test drive after the engine had warmed up?

Hey guys, I've got a good question for you all. What is the idle rpms of your Hemi when it is cold in the morning (first start of the day)?

Thanks. :gr_patrio

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Does this problem apply too '03 Hemis aswell? Mine has only stalled randomly once, during a quick donut display the motor cut out after coming too a stop. I didnt really think too much about it though.

Also, occasionally my truck will begin too "cam" at idle. It only lasts a second or two usually. It goes from a nice smooth idle too sounding like a lumpy cammed up big-block then back too smooth again. This happens rarely but it does kinda bother me. Might be time to visit the dealership.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
What is your idle rpm?

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
I bought a Dodge because when they came out with the 3rd Gen Ram I wanted one.... so I was one of the first kids on the block with a 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab... at the time Dodge had the ONLY true 1500 Quad Cab and it was everything I wanted. I really have no major complaints other than the Rear end takeing a $H1T on me. At least they did not blame it on the 4.56 gears.... That was a releife.... but I did have to pay 100.00 bucks to get it replaced.... and that should not have happend.

As for the stalling.... Its only a matter of time before they get that all patched up for you guys... But be sure to have them change your rear end fluid just before your warranty runs out... this way they will have to OPEN her up and if its broken they will fix it with o money out of your pocket....

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hemi Pete said:
What is your idle rpm?
Usually my warm idle is around 650 rpms, however it drops too 500 or so before it begins to "cam".

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.