DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this project intending on using PVC for the whole intake, plus I wanted to duct air from the fog light hole to the filter. But I just didn't like the way the PVC fittings looked. Even if painted they look like, well, PVC. Plus alot of people were raising concerns on here about the pvc getting too warm, or pieces of pvc being injested in the engine. Then I found out about siliconeintakes.com and begin to get ideas of building the intake out of silicone. However, silicone is fairly expense so I compromised and made the duct from the bumper to the filter out of 4 inch PVC and went with 3 1/2 inch silicone from the filter to the throttle body. I used an AMSOIL filter EaAU3560.

Then I had to try to solve the problem of getting cold air to the filter. Instead of building a heat shield I decided to make a filter housing and duct the air to it. At the hardware store I found a 1 gallon tupperware paint can that the filter would fit in with extra room. Then I used a 3 to 4 inch PVC drain flange to connect the pvc to the can.

The flange had a lip on the inside for use on 3 in pipe so I ground it out with a dremel tool

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Then I cut a hole in the bottom of the can and siliconed the flange to the bottom. I used screws as well. I cut a hole in the lid for the filter flange to fit through. Here are some pics showing how the filter fits in the can.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And finally the finished product installed. So far I've had it in for a week. Did a PCM reset after installation. Haven't really noticed any noise difference. I checked gas mileage on the route I take to work every day and at 60 mph it seems to have picked up 1.5 to 2 MPG.I don't have any dyno information so I'm not sure if there is any increased power. The truck does seem to have a little better throttle response and seems to have regained some of the low end that I lost when I put the Flowmaster on. I'm pretty happy with it so far. It will do until I can afford that shaker hood :rck: Feel free to post comments and criticism because it is a work in progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and yes I do plan to paint the PVC eventually. Trying to figure out what color to paint it, black or blue to match the silicone.

·
OFFICIAL CHEBBY HATER
1,389 Posts
pvc, silicone, tupperware, all you need now is a kitchen sink. J/K man if it works then its good in my book!!!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Its certainly clever!

·
Registered
801 Posts
That's pretty cool, how much did all of it cost, and where did you order your filter from?

·
Toothy Critters Rock!
7,238 Posts
I likes it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's pretty cool, how much did all of it cost, and where did you order your filter from?
Ordered it from the Amsoil website, and signed up as a dealer while I was there :D All in all I spent close to 200 on it, but if I had thought it out better before I ordered everything I could have saved 50 bucks. Granted, I could have bought a 3rd strike intake for that or less, but it wouldn't have done what I wanted, which was bring in air directly from outside the engine compartment.

·
Texas RAM Dude
3,643 Posts
Nice design. Very clever for sure. You probably do not notice much noise because the filter is enclosed.

·
Devil's Advocate
8,198 Posts
I like the filter housing, not sure about going through the extra hassle and expense of the silicone though.

·
Rockin' the free world
152 Posts
No duct tape??
What a crappy install!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously great job on putting it together...very ingenious.

Now put some duct tape on it!

·
Registered
23,004 Posts
I love it. :tup:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Looks like a gigantic inline fuel filter!...............I like it!

·
Stroke THIS
931 Posts
deffinitly outside the box i love it !

·
Valdez Racing Team
13,913 Posts
..very nice thinkin!...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.