DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to do my monthly running around. You know, the bank, fill-up, get the truck detailed, and whatever. Well… it started on a sour note. I rolled the windows down it peeled the plastic off the tint on the passenger side. I had the tint replaced and then just before I got home, the engine started to get too hot. I pulled under a shade tree out front to see what was wrong; the e-fan wasn’t coming on.

I got the e-fan controller paperwork out of the glove box and then got under the hood. The e-fan controller triggers a 75-amp relay then this relay sends power from the battery to the e-fan. That way the controller never sees the heavy load from the Lincoln e-fan and the e-fan to powered directly from the battery though the large relay. The first thing I did was jumper the controller to cool the truck down. OK, with the engine cooled down, I started checking and found the problem was the controller or probe. But the strangest thing happen while I was checking the e-fan. Anytime the engine would get to the 3/4’s point, I would jumper the controller. The e-fan would come on as I held the jumper in place and as the engine would start cool and then A/C e-fan would come on. I had the A/C and blower motor turned off so this was the first strange thing. Now with the engine cool, I release the jumper but both e-fan were still running. After a minute or so, the A/C e-fan would turn off but the Lincoln e-fan was still on. The only way the fan would shut-off was if I removed the temp-jumper on the face of the controller. I let the truck continue to set until the water temp was getting to the 3/4 point, I then I would jumper the controller again with the same results. After the third time, I let the e-fan run while I pulled the truck up onto the driveway and called it day.

Personally, I’ve had it with these electrical gremlins! I’m pulling this e-fan out by the wires and putting the mechanical clutch fan back on the truck.

:jmad:

·
Tex
3,717 Posts
my efan came off, it wasn't doing a good enough job(for me) so its in the garage now. it took me a few days to get used to how it drove with the manual clutch fan but it is keeping cool even in traffic now.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a little checking under the hood today and found some wiring that didn't look right. I redid two of the grounds for the e-fan but still couldn't get the e-fan to come on unless I jumper-ed the controller. There's still a chance it could be the trigging relay. I have one in my toolbox so I'll try it after lunch tomorrow. Now, I’m wondering if there’s room in the shroud for the e-fan and the stock mechanical clutch fan.

:dunno:

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't work in the the garage today; I had to work outside in the direct sun to do anything. My god it's hot out there! I was so over heated, I was having to ... hook-up relay and stand in the shade; put the battery in the tray and stand in the shade; hook-up battery and stand in the shade; get the tools and stand in the shade; and then ... well, you get the idea. I wanted to double-check everything because it just wasn't adding up. I rechecked the relays, ohm'ed out the probe, and did some continuity checking of the wires. As I pulled stuff apart, I cleaned and replaced connections. There was no reason why the e-fan system should not have been working.

Then I saw it! The sun light hit the probe just right. The probe was in the radiator but it was really in the radiator. When I saw it I just threw my faces up, closed the hood, and came inside. There was no way I was going to get down on the hot concert, under the hot engine, and work the probe into a hot radiator. Later, after the front of house is in the shade, and it's a little cooler outside, I'll go out there and stab the thing into fins. I'll repost when I've got it working.

:jmad:

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
my efan came off, it wasn't doing a good enough job(for me) so its in the garage now. it took me a few days to get used to how it drove with the manual clutch fan but it is keeping cool even in traffic now.
Wow, mine is just the opposite, won't stay cool at idle with the mechanical fan, but cools fine with the E-Fan. I left the shroud in place and toss the mechanical fan back on it if I am going to do heavy towing.

·
Admin - David Mack
30,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That fixed it! And now the e-fan is cooling the truck even better. I thought the 12 o'clock mark on the water temp gauge was 180-degrees. After all, I had the e-fan set with the 170 jumper with a 177-Jet t-stat and the e-fan was cycling around the middle mark. I wired everything to the battery and now the e-fan even sounds stronger. I had to pull the jumper because the e-fan wasn't cycling. The e-fan was starting well before the 10 o'clock on the gauge but not turning off. So I went with the default 180-setting on the controller and the e-fan is cycling right around the 10 to 11 o'clock on the gauge. And now when I turn-off the engine, the e-fan keeps running. I like it!

:pty:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.